Operations Manager, Research
Turnaround for Children is a rapidly-growing organization with a powerful and innovative approach for dramatic improvement of low-performing, high-poverty public schools. Turnaround has designed a targeted intervention to mitigate the stress of poverty on child development and learning. In each partner school, Turnaround creates a student support system that provides expedited access to quality mental health services for the highest-need students, trains teachers in strategies to build safe, supportive and productive classrooms and works with school leaders to execute a school improvement plan that leverages data, puts positive disciplinary practices in place and fosters a culture of high expectations. This allows every child to develop the social, emotional and academic skills to succeed in school and in life.
Over the past 13 years, Turnaround has grown from an idea to an organization with a $12.4 million budget and nearly 60 employees. Currently, Turnaround partners with 11 schools in New York City, Newark, New Jersey and Washington, D.C., serving over 4,000 students and 400 teachers. Turnaround’s central office is located in midtown Manhattan.
About the Position
The Operations Manager, Research will support Turnaround’s field implementation teams, as well as partner schools, by 1) supervising and coordinating part-time classroom observers working in Turnaround’s three partner school districts, 2) coordinating the budgets, agreements and planning necessary for smooth, effective and confidential data collection, 3) building positive and proactive relationships with school partners and Turnaround field staff and 4) coordinating accurate and efficient collection of data supporting Turnaround’s partnership work.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage Turnaround’s cohort of 15-20 part-time classroom observers, including daily troubleshooting and administration; weekly scheduling and supervision; and annual cycles of planning, hiring and training
- Refine, improve and document existing data collection systems and collaborate with colleagues to adapt those systems to serve new and changing analytical purposes
- Clearly, professionally and proactively communicate with Turnaround’s partner schools and field-based staff to coordinate data collection, including staff and student surveys, training “exit ticket” data and classroom observations
- Ensure compliance with all contracts, agreement, policies and legal requirements related to data security and confidentiality
- Undertake special projects related to organizational learning and/or school operations initiatives
- Periodic travel to school sites in New York City, Newark, New Jersey and Washington, D.C., as needed
Required Skills and Experience
- Passion for operational excellence
- Creative problem solving
- Exceptional organizational skills with experience implementing detailed systems in a fast-paced, quality-critical environment, preferably with a variety of audiences
- Strong analytical skills with deep knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Strong and sustained attention to detail with a high bar for accuracy; calm under pressure
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Track record of establishing effective working relationships with colleagues at all levels and across teams
- One to four years of work experience
- Prior knowledge of survey and qualitative research methods preferred
- Demonstrated interest or experience in K-12 education preferred
- College degree strongly preferred; master’s degree preferred
Please visit our careers page (https://turnaroundusa.csod.com/ats/careersite/search.aspx?site=1&c=turnaroundusa) to complete our online application.
Compensation is competitive based on background and experience and includes excellent benefits. Turnaround for Children is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ***, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.