1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 3:36 AM by Philipp Güth

How exactly does Tableau Desktop authenticate on Tableau Server

Philipp Güth

Hi,

In the manuals and support materials such as the administrator guide I found plenty of content regarding how authentication works on Tableau Server.

My question is, whether this also covers the authentication a Tableau Desktop instance will use when publishing to Tableau Server.

I.e. when I want to open a data extract that lies on the server through Tableau Desktop, how exactly does the authentication process work?

Many thanks in advance,

Philipp

• 1. Re: How exactly does Tableau Desktop authenticate on Tableau Server
          Philipp Güth

After more research I believe I can answer the question myself . I appreciate any feedback on my findings:

When a user opens Tableau Desktop he will select Tableau Server as datasource. He then specifies the server name. If Tableau Server is configured to use Active Directory, behind the scenes Tableau Server redirects Tableau Desktop to the Active Directory Provider. The user is then prompted for his AD credentials*. After the user enters the credentials, he is authenticated on the server and can perform all actions such as connecting to different data sources on the server and opening and publishing workbooks.