4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 5:55 PM by Eva Murray

How to determine exactly what filters/parameters are in place for a particular Custom View (including hidden ones)

Kristen Connolly

We've been trying to find a way to determine the exact configuration of specific Custom Views. Every few weeks, a user comes to us and says their Custom View is acting unexpectedly. It would be helpful to understand what is causing the views to stop functioning correctly. There seem to be two different problems, both of which we could troubleshoot with information about what the Custom View is trying to do.

Failure Mode 1:

1. A Project Manager creates a Custom View to filter specifically to the projects and metrics of interest to her.
      2. That PM continues using the Custom View successfully for a while.
      3. We republish the workbook and the Custom View breaks, but we aren't sure which piece of the Custom View is causing the problem (perhaps we renamed a field explicitly referenced? We don't know how to tell).

We are guessing that in Failure Mode 1, we've changed something in the workbook and it would be great if we could see what (probably minor) change is causing the disconnect. In some cases, we'd like to be able to rebuild the Custom View for the PM, but we have no insight to know exactly how it was set up.

Failure mode 2:

1. A Project Manager creates a Custom View to filter specifically to the projects and metrics of interest to her.
      2. That PM continues using the Custom View successfully for a while.
      3. One day, Custom View returns incomplete data. Rows are missing. Creating a replacement Custom View with all the same filters returns all of the expected data, while the first Custom View remains inexplicably incomplete (regardless of refreshes).

In Failure Mode 2, we have no idea what's happening. Perhaps the PM did a "keep-only" or "exclude" filter and accidentally saved over the Custom View, but that hidden filter is still in play? It would be great to know.

Failed troubleshooting attempts:

I've been digging into the most recent "corrupted" view for Failure Mode 2, but haven't found answers yet.

Postgres

I wanted to dig into the postgres database, but either the information I wanted isn't there or I did it wrong.

Via TableauServer 9.1:

• connected to various tables ("workgroup" database, using "tblwgadmin" and "readonly" usernames)
        • none of the tables seem to contain information about what filters are in place

Via pgadmin3:

• Same lack of information in the tables accessed via pgadmin3 on Tableau 9.1 Server computer ("workgroup" database, using "tblwgadmin" and "readonly" usernames)

Server Logs

I took a peek at the logs, and I see that there are some differences in the SQL coming from the two , but it's pretty long and ugly, and difficult to make a direct comparison (and to know exactly which steps to compare). Is there any other way?