1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 2:13 AM by Mark Fraser

Minimum Requirements...

Mark Fraser

Hi all

Just upgraded to 9.1 and noted that the minimum requirements have shot up, or is it just me??

This is from the 9.0 admin guide (no mention of test vs production environments)

Now on the website, it is repeated... but now only advisable for testing only.

The real requirements are below in the red box

The difference is thousands of additional expenses for what already is an expensive product...

Is it just me or has this a) gone up significantly? and b) is this not very clear?

Cheers

Mark

• 1. Re: Minimum Requirements...
          Jeff Strauss

It appears that minimum requirements have stayed consistent with 9.0, though guidelines aka recommendations have been added.  So it will still work with 8 gig of RAM on 4 cores, though the recommendation is to have a more "beefy" platform.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Minimum Requirements...
            Sasha Hanna

Hi Mark,

Effectively you have identified an area of choice between upgrading or not. This high capacity issue has been addressed by Paul in his blog, among many other considerations: How to manage Tableau upgrades in an Enterprise environment | Paul Banoub's VizNinja Blog.

Cheers,

Alexandra

• 3. Re: Minimum Requirements...
              Toby Erkson

I haven't read any of the documentation but from what you've presented I would say that falls under category B, not very clear.

• 4. Re: Minimum Requirements...
                Mark Fraser

Thanks Jeff - I'm glad its not just me! I note now v9.0 online guide matches the main website tech specs - but it didn't used to - I have the PDF documentation (page 6 of the attached).

My 'issue' is that we made a buying decision based on the 'original' Server tech specifications and I feel (rightly or wrongly) that was a little ''misleading'' (I don't think that's too strong)... it was never made clear that these were for a test environment only. There is a significant hardware difference which of course means significant extra cost - which we were not expecting.

It also leaves me as our 'Tableau champion' looking a bit stupid...

I hope this doesn't affect our deployment of Tableau but the hardware/cost difference is so significant I fear it may...

Cheers

Mark

• 5. Re: Minimum Requirements...
                  Mark Fraser

Thanks Alexandra, although my issue is that we made a buying decision based on the Server minimum tech specs which were effectively wrong (or misleading < I don't know) at the point we made the decision.

• 6. Re: Minimum Requirements...
                    Jeff Strauss

I believe prod will work with the minimum requirements, but they probably added the prod recommendations because support was troubleshooting so many issues related to too small of deployments.

• 7. Re: Minimum Requirements...
                      Mark Fraser

Thanks Toby

I have attached my copy of Server 9.0 admin, page 6 is the min tech specs.

Just in case - where is the split?!?!?!

Personally, I think not very clear is generous....

• 8. Re: Minimum Requirements...
                        Mark Pesce

I am definitely in the same boat as you Mark. While my company and I are nowhere near enterprise level, we have been utilizing the minimum requirements since its inception.

We are in a wait-and-see approach with 9.1 right now as I have version 9.0.4 on my systems.

• 9. Re: Minimum Requirements...
                          Mark Fraser

I believe prod will work with the minimum requirements, but they probably added the prod recommendations because support was troubleshooting so many issues related to too small of deployments.

To be 100% honest - we have so few concurrent users (at the moment) I can get away with it as PROD but that isn't really the point < also this issue relates to all server customers (thanks Mark P!)

We are aware that more cores, ram etc means a better experience and more users but with the cost of the licenses already prohibitive and the fact we needed to prove the business case we thought the minimum would at least take us so far then once Tableau is embedded and selling then we can upgrade.... its a lot easier to ask for more hardware when I'm generating profit!!

Now (in the v9.1 world) I'm hoping I have enough resource to prove the business case...

Please excuse the rant - Its nothing against you or anyone

• 10. Re: Minimum Requirements...
                            Jeff Strauss

does Tableau sell server in increments less than 8 cores?  I thought 8 cores was the minimum that they sold server with in terms of licensing.

• 11. Re: Minimum Requirements...
                              Mark Fraser

We bought a starter bundle of 10 Server Interactor licenses for $$,$$$

Or you can buy a core license (that's the 8 core) for $$$,$$$... which even before the significant price rise was too much for us

• 12. Re: Minimum Requirements...
                                Jeff Strauss

I see, I too often forget about the named interactor licensing model.  thanks.  It seems like if you only have 10 interactors, then 4 cores should suffice and the general recommendation is too broad.

• 13. Re: Minimum Requirements...
                                  Matt Coles

Hey Mark. I'm sorry for the confusion and frustration you're experiencing with the docs on this. I don't believe anything has changed between 9.0 and 9.1, requirements-wise. They did change from 8.0 to 9.0, however, in the sense that the 64-bit installer will no longer allow you to proceed with the Server install if the minimum requirements are not met (the 32-bit version will let you proceed, however).

8.3 Admin Guide

9.0 Admin Guide

9.1 Admin Guide

Have you considered testing your config with TabJolt ? If you're worried about whether your system will be able to scale for the number of Interactors you expect with the hardware you have, that tool might provide some reassurance.

• 14. Re: Minimum Requirements...
                                    Glauber Ribeiro

I was more annoyed than surprised by the jump in requirements. In a way it's a change in direction, because Tableau used to be very reluctant to give hardware recommendations. One problem with the new level of requirements, is that it doesn't work with a popular configuration for Tableau HA, to use a fairly light VM as the controller and heavy hardware for the workers.

I think one of the drivers is the fact that Tableau has always been an agglomeration of open source products, but it's been gobbling more and more. We had Apache HTTP Server, Tomcat, Solr and Jackrabbit, and now we added Zookeeper. (Is Tableau on a quest to include every Apache project? )

1 2 Previous Next