8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2015 10:26 AM by Matt Coles

What alert do you want? I'll build it at TC15!

Matt Coles

At this year’s Tableau Conference in Vegas, I'll be doing a session on using VizAlerts as a solution to data-driven alerting from Tableau Server.

I’m looking for some real-world alerts that people would build if they could do it in Tableau. I’ll pick one (or perhaps two if I have time), and actually build it in my session using VizAlerts! So if you’ve got an example of something you need, let me know! I may need a sanitized version of your data, or at least enough of a description of its makeup to mock some up myself.

• 1. Re: What alert do you want? I'll build it at TC15!
          Rithesh Makkena

Matt this is a fantastic feature. Just quick question, how do i tie the data extract that was in the attahment to my repository.

Thanks!

R

• 2. Re: What alert do you want? I'll build it at TC15!
            Matt Coles

Thanks Rithesh! I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "attachment", though. Do you mean, how do you obtain data on extract refresh operations on Tableau Server and tie them to the workbooks or datasources that they belong to? What is it you'd like to do?

• 3. Re: What alert do you want? I'll build it at TC15!
              Rithesh Makkena

Hi Matt I meant vizalerts data extract which was in the zip folder , cant i tie that extract back to my server?. Also for alerts lets on workbook I have line graph and If i say if [sales] >= 10000 send the alert to email?. Can i use the exiting script to do that?.

Many Thanks,

R

• 4. Re: What alert do you want? I'll build it at TC15!
                Matt Coles

Ah, I understand, thanks for clarifying. I'll start with the Sales question, because you don't necessarily need the VizAlerts.tdsx datasource for that alert.

Yes, you can trigger an alert on sum of sales exceeding 10,000, or some other threshold. The simplest method is:

1. Open Tableau Desktop.

2. Connect to the data you want to base your alert on. In this case, this would mean your Sales data, which ideally would contain a list of deals, the date they closed, and some amount.

3. Filter it to the data you want to base your alert on (for example, sales that were made this year)

4. Add a new filter on the Sales Amounts, summed, and set it for "At Least" and then 10,000. At this point, all your data should in theory disappear, since it hasn't happened yet.

5. Publish your view to Tableau Server. If you extracted your data from step 2, you will want to ensure you're refreshing it regularly.

6. Subscribe to your alert on one of the Alerts schedules set up by the Tableau Server administrator. Your alert will be checked on that schedule. Once the sum of sales exceeds 10,000, you will be emailed.

Now, there's a trick here. Once you get that initial email (hopefully you achieve your sales goal!), you will continue to get that email on the same schedule you set it to run on. Presumably that is not what you want, because once you know that you achieved your sales goal, you don't want to be told again! There are three ways to avoid that:

1. The easy way: Once you get this alert, unsubscribe from it. Not a great solution, especially if it runs hourly or so, since you'd have to remember to unsubscribe.

2. The fun way: Use table calculations to identify the date of the transaction that put you over the sales goal total, and use a relative date to filter it out once your alert has fired. This is easier said than done in Tableau, but I'll post an example in a new topic once I have a good one to show.

3. The future way: Eventually VizAlerts will log operations to a database that will be exposed to alert authors. That'd enable you to build logic in your alert that says "If I already alerted for this, don't send it again".

So the other question was about the datasource. Here's the answer to that:

The VizAlerts.tdsx file is intended to simply be an aid to building Advanced Alerts so that you don't have to remember the field names and such. It doesn't actually need to tie into your data at all. If you wanted to build an Advanced Alert, you'd do the following:

1. Open Tableau Desktop.

2. Connect to the data you want to base your alert on. In this case, this would mean your Sales data.

3. Connect to the VizAlerts datasource on Tableau Server. Select all of the fields on it, right click, and hit Copy.

4. Click the Sales datasource again, right click, and hit Paste. All the appropriate fields will be copied in with their default values.

5. (You can close the VizAlerts datasource now if you like; it's part is done)

6. Drag all of the Email fields out to the Rows shelf that have asterisks at the end--these are required.

7. Edit each of the fields to your liking.

8. Publish the view and subscribe on the Alert schedule you want to use, just like normal.

For lots more good info on all this stuff, see the User Guide in the zip file.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: What alert do you want? I'll build it at TC15!
                  Rithesh Makkena

Thanks a lot Matt, this is amazing product that you have built.

• 6. Re: What alert do you want? I'll build it at TC15!
                    Matt Coles

Thanks Rithesh! I hope you're able to make good use of it.

• 7. Re: What alert do you want? I'll build it at TC15!
                      Rithesh Makkena

Looking forward to meet you during TC 15 , your session is a must for me now

• 8. Re: What alert do you want? I'll build it at TC15!
                        Matt Coles

Here's the answer to your question, Rithesh!

Example: Alert when a Sales Target is achieved

1 of 1 people found this helpful