2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 2:25 AM by Michael O'Connor

Published Extracts with Data Source Filters based on Group Membership not updating in View

Michael O'Connor

Hey All,

I currently have an extract published to Tableau Server which has a Data source filter applied to limit results by Region.

When using two separate accounts, to test setup, I was able to see the affect of the filter in a published view on Tableau Server i.e. in one case I can see all rows and in another a limited set.

I then started adjusting the Group Memberships for my account to see how this would be reflected and I'm failing to understand when the view will be updated to reflect the users new group membership.

For instance I changed my user who could only see one Region to be able to see all Regions but when I went into the view I found this wasn't reflected and I could only still see a single Region. I thought this was odd and tried signing in & out of Tableau server to see if it was down to some form of caching, on one occasion this seemed to work and the view was updated but when trying a similar test later I found signing in & out didn't change the view. I did have tableau desktop signed into server at times as well but did sign it out to try and limit variables.

I think based on my testing today that the views seem to reflect the changes once the extract is refreshed. However I'm not sure this is 100% correct either so here I am.

I know that typically users wouldn't be adjusting group memberships on a frequent basis so I'm assuming that Tableau Server is caching or only infrequently refreshing what Groups a user is a member of and thus what data should be exposed on the view. However I do want to understand how this works so i can know when the best time is to setup new users or change existing setups etc.

Thanks In Advance

• 1. Re: Published Extracts with Data Source Filters based on Group Membership not updating in View
          Toby Erkson

I don't have the answer but here's some thoughts:

• Yes, caching can affect what you see, both via the browser and Tableau Server cache settings.
          • Assignment of permissions:  If you change them at the Project level you may need to push those permissions onto the reports using the below button in the Project permissions screen:

• However, pushing those permissions will wipe out permissions that were previously set.  This won't affect filter permissions you created that are built into the workbook vizes themselves.
          • Changes that you make within the Server interface happen immediately.  That's one thing I love about it!

The best method of maintaining/admin'ing permissions is to use Groups.  It's easier to change the permissions to a Group within a Project than every individual member within it.

• 2. Re: Published Extracts with Data Source Filters based on Group Membership not updating in View
            Michael O'Connor

Hey Toby,

Thanks for the response I think your right in that its most likely a caching impact.

I use groups for permission assignment across the board, and I have become attuned to utilizing the Assign Permissions to Contents feature.

I might try and prove that caching is the impact here when I get a chance.

But for now thanks for your help