7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 2:24 PM by Bhushan Shah

How can I find wherever the dimensions and measures are used in a tableau file?

alex.thumba

I am planning to restructure an existing tableau file prepared earlier to optimise the performance. The tableau file contains around 10-15 sheets, 3 dashboards and a large number of calculated fields. I trying to remove some of the fields extracted from the database which are not useful.The problem I am facing is in identifying wherever the the dimensions and measures are used for example some may be used in calculated fields, some may be in filters,sheets etc .

Is it possible to find wherever a dimension or a measure is used in a tableau file??

• 1. Re: How can I find wherever the dimensions and measures are used in a tableau file?
          garima.vatsa.0

Hi Alex,

There is no other way, you have to check each sheet individually with what has been used in the column, row, mark and filter shelf. There is no other way, the calculated field which are being used in particular sheet you can change them only rest all are not might be used.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Garima

• 2. Re: How can I find wherever the dimensions and measures are used in a tableau file?
            Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi alex,

we can hide the all unused dim and measure via right click data source and hide all unused fields.

Now we can see only used objects in view.

dragged data and calculation used data is used data and all others is unused data. It will consider all sheet in wb.

Again you select show hidden fields then all hide fields will appear, now you can remove that in extract.

Thanks

sankar

Thanks

sankar

• 3. Re: How can I find wherever the dimensions and measures are used in a tableau file?
              alex.thumba

Shankar,

I got your point. But my purpose is to eliminate some of the dimensions and measures I used in calculations unnecessarily. It is difficult to identify wherever I have used those fields by going through all the sheets, calculated fields and filters.

looking for an option to identify the usage by seeing that dimensions or measure in the 'side bar'.

• 4. Re: How can I find wherever the dimensions and measures are used in a tableau file?
                Chris Gerrard

Here are a couple of additional posts concerning calculated fields:

More Calculated Field Analysis - Fields in Formulae

Is the more complete, makes it easy to trace fields and how they're used in calculations.

Do you know what your Calculated Fields are?

Is the original article showing how to tease out the basic information about calculated fields, minus parsing the individual fields from calculations.

In truth, there's almost nothing that one could want to know about what's in one's workbooks that's out of reach.

Finding these things out was the motivation behind TWIS (which included InUse/Hidden, Row, Columns, and Filter field usage analysis years ago) and Andy Cotgreave's TWB Auditor; and, I expect behind the other tools that have come along (some very pricey)

The real trick is in knowing what things Workbook elements, including fields, -can- be used for, and how to interpret the relationships between them. This is a consequence of the nature of the information model in place, which is a multi-domain (multi-path), deeply nested hierarchical data structure with encoded identity linkages across the domains and levels.

This complex TWB information model is what makes it difficult to use Tableau to understand TWBs: in order to boil out the contents of even simple TWBs into tabular data several approaches present themselves, e.g.:

1. a separate table needs to be created for each of the multitude of independent terminal paths, e.g. capturing the potential relationships between Workbooks, Dashboards, Worksheets, and Data Sources requires multiple tables. This gets very messy very quickly as the number of tables increases (see: large, complex, unintelligible E-R diagram posted on an IT departments' walls)
                2. complex tables can be constructed to combine short- with full-path data from the same domain, thus reducing the number of tables but increasing the amount of domain knowledge necessary to interpret the tables' contents
                3. abstracted tables that reduce everything to composable parts that can be construct high-level meaning.

I've implemented #1 and #2. Neither works very well in the long run, for reasons I've recounted elsewhere. #3 is technically doable, but leads to the point antithetical to Tableau's basic design: instead of making things simple and easy it would create a situation where specialized technical knowledge is required to do basic analysis.

As a consequence of the above, particularly the growing difficulty of adding additional functionality to TWIS I've adopted the "many small tools" model from Unix and now build and reuse specific-purpose tools that will let me answer the specific questions I have about a set of Workbooks, and to manipulate them as desired. This works very well in practice, at the cost of sometimes building another copy of an existing tool because it's faster than finding the particular one that already does the job.

Speaking to Kettan's points about Tableau surfacing this sort of information there are a couple of points:

• We've been asking Tableau for this for almost as long as Tableau has been a product (I was asking in 2007): Tableau: Know Thyself. And Please Tell Me. has a fair write up on the space.
                • There's a fundamental problem that needs to be overcome: Tableau's basic design doesn't accommodate the sort of analysis that's necessary for meaningfully interacting with and understanding hierarchical, multi-path data. It was created to access and analyze homogeneously-grained tabular data. Changing Tableau so that it possesses an innate understanding of more complex data, and presents the possible analytical operations in a easily-grasped, intuitive user interface in the same way it surfaced the handful of basic analytical operations (that haven't changed since the days of punch cards and COBOL, at least) as straightforward user interactions, would be a significant rep-conceptualization of the product, one that Tableau shows little outward sign of undertaking.

I'm waiting for the emergence of the next great disruptive data analysis tool that provides everything, or even just the first round of, post-tabular data analysis needs, and hoping it won't be too long a wait.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How can I find wherever the dimensions and measures are used in a tableau file?
                  Jon Leckman

Hi team has there been any updates on this?  Inheriting large dashboards from team members who have left the company is an arduous process without this functionality being baked in.

Right Click -> Used in worksheets tab -> Show worksheet

Why is this not in?

• 6. Re: How can I find wherever the dimensions and measures are used in a tableau file?
                    Bhushan Shah

There doesn't seem to be anyway so far. I am using 10.3

As an alternative, if I come across any field/measure that I want to check if is being used, then right click -> delete and it will show you list of all the sheets it is being used in if any.

• 7. Re: How can I find wherever the dimensions and measures are used in a tableau file?
                      Bhushan Shah

There doesn't seem to be anyway so far. I am using 10.3

As an alternative, if I come across any field/measure that I want to check if is being used, then right click -> delete and it will show you list of all the sheets it is being used in if any.