1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 10:04 AM by Jonathan Drummey

How do I publish a data source with an extract to a Tableau server from a Tableau Desktop with a different connection to the server?

parker.lim

Hi there,

I have issues publishing a data connection with an extract to our Tableau server. The Tableau server sits on a different part of our network than the Tableau Desktop. Both parts of the network can access our data source, a Netezza database. I would like to create a data connection in Tableau Desktop with an extract, and publish it to the Tableau Server with the extract so that the server can refresh the data every morning.

The issue is that the Tableau Server needs to access the data source with IP 1.2.3.4 (for example) while the Tableau Desktop needs to access the data source with IP 1.2.3.5 (for example). So, when I publish the data source and extract from Tableau Desktop, it saves the wrong information for connecting to the data source on the Tableau Server.

I've already tried editing the data connection information after publishing to the server. This works for a live connection but not when the data source has an extract. In the case where the data source is published with an extract, the extract fails to refresh from the server side.

There must be a way to publish a data source with an extract to a Tableau Server with a different connection to the original database. How should I go about doing this?

Thanks