3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 4:20 AM by Mads Manalo

Hi, I have upgraded from Tableau Server 8.2 to Tableau  Server9.0. But all our workbooks is not in the server at all. What did I missed?

Mads Manalo

I have created a clean backup and done with "tabadmin backup" . Im using single server installation. I uninstalled tableau 8.2 and Installed Tableau 9.0.5. and when I launched tableau 9.0 server, all my workbooks and users are not in there. What did I missed? Kindly need your help. Thank you!

• 1. Re: Hi, I have upgraded from Tableau Server 8.2 to Tableau  Server9.0. But all our workbooks is not in the server at all. What did I missed?
          Mark Fraser

Hi Mads

Most obvious things first -

There is this but I don't believe its applicable to you as you're using 9.0.5

Projects, Workbooks, Views, and/or Users Missing after Upgrading | Tableau Software

Is the Tableau Server file path the same?

Upgrading Tableau Server | Tableau Software

Have you tried restarting the Server post upgrade? >> Troubleshooting Tableau Server 9.0 Known Issues | Tableau Software

Have you tried contact Tableau support?

PS. I'm going to move this thread to the Server Admin area of the forum in the hope it gets more specialized attention/ help

Cheers

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hi, I have upgraded from Tableau Server 8.2 to Tableau  Server9.0. But all our workbooks is not in the server at all. What did I missed?
            Mads Manalo

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the infos! Yes I'm planning now to contact Tableau support about this.

• 3. Re: Hi, I have upgraded from Tableau Server 8.2 to Tableau  Server9.0. But all our workbooks is not in the server at all. What did I missed?
              Mads Manalo

Hi All,

Let me share this to you, this is came from Tableau support and this help me to upgrade our production server successfully without any issue occurred like missing of data which I have posted in here.

Step 1: Stop and backup Tableau Server 9.0.5

a. Open an administrative command prompt                                         

b. For 32bit Operating Systems, navigate to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\9.0\bin"

For 64bit Operating Systems, navigate to: "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\9.0\bin"

c. Type the command "tabadmin stop" and wait for confirmation that Tableau Server has been stopped successfully.

d. Type the command "tabadmin backup C:\TabServBak". This starts the backup process for Tableau Server and creates a backup file named "TabServBak" in the C drive. Wait for process to complete and take note if any errors occur.

Step 2: Uninstall Tableau Server and reboot machine or VM

a. Using the 'Uninstall A Program' function in the Windows Control Panel, uninstall Tableau Server

b. Reboot the Tableau Server machine or virtual machine once Tableau Server has completed uninstallation.

Step 3: Delete Tableau folders/directories

Delete the Tableau folder in the following directories/folders in the Tableau Server machine or VM and empty the trash:

a. C:\Program Files (x86) for 32bit Operating Systems

b. C:\Program Files for 64bit Operating Systems

c. C:\ProgramData - this is a hidden folder that exists in both 32bit or 64bit Operating Systems. It can be accessed by typing '%ProgramData%' in the address bar in Windows Explorer.

Step 4: Install Tableau Server 9.0 and perform initial configuration:

a. Install Tableau Server 9.0

b. Once installation is complete, a configuration window will prompt for initial configuration. This is where you must configure Tableau Server for the following:

i. Authentication: Active Directory or Local Authentication

ii. Run As User - Can be an Active Directory account but must have full permissions to the Tableau Server directories and to ProgramData directories. Must also have the rights to logon as a service in the Windows Security Policies.

iii. Custom ports - Default Port that Tableau Server will listen on is 80, however, if you have other web applications running in the same machine or vm that use port 80, you can set Tableau Server to listen on port 8000.

Step 5: Save configuration and test

Once Tableau Server configuration has been successfully saved, Tableau Server will continue with initial configuration and when ready it will open a web browser prompting for a creation of an administrator account.

For Tableau Servers configured for Active Directory authentication, the Tableau Server administrator account must be an Active Directory user account from the same Active Directory domain that the Tableau Server is a part of. It can be any Active Directory user account. Once the Tableau Server administrator's account has been configured, Tableau Server will then log you in.

At this point, logout of Tableau Server as the initial configuration has been successfully completed.

Step 6: Restore data without restoring configuration

a. Open an administrative command prompt

b. For 32bit Operating Systems, navigate to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\9.0\bin"

For 64bit Operating Systems, navigate to: "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\9.0\bin"

Run the following commands in sequence:

1st: tabadmin stop - wait for confirmation that Tableau Server has successfully stopped.

2nd: tabadmin restore --no-config C:\TabServBak - wait for confirmation that Tableau Server has successfully restored the data.

3rd: tabadmin start - wait for confirmation that Tableau Server has successfully started.

You can now login to Tableau Server using the previously configured Tableau Server admin account that was created prior to Tableau Server was backed up and uninstalled and you should see your data.

You can now login to Tableau Server using the previously configured Tableau Server admin account that was created prior to Tableau Server was backed up and uninstalled and you should see your data.