7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 11:30 AM by tim.latona

Multiple tabcmd get commands at once

tim.latona

Hi,

I want to create a few .png files that get dropped into a shared folder on a schedule. I've written a script where I pass a parameter in the URL, and will eventually have it loop within my .bat.

I've gotten my script working just fine, but am wondering if there's any way that I can avoid having to call tabcmd for each workbook? It appears that the creation of the png file only takes a second or so, but the tabcmd call (that I have repeated on each line) appears to take significantly longer.

Is there any way to chain the creation of workbooks without having to call tabcmd over and over?

I think about being able to say: tabcmd get /views/blahblah -f get c:\folder get /views/blahblah2 -f c:\folder

• 1. Re: Multiple tabcmd get commands at once
          Jeff Strauss

I'm not aware of any way to chain the views within a tabcmd besides doing a loop.  What version are you using?  tabcmd has gotten a lot faster with v9.x

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multiple tabcmd get commands at once
            tim.latona

Still 8.3, but taking our PROD box to 9 within a month. I'll test it in our QA environment and see if it's quicker.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Multiple tabcmd get commands at once
              Jeff Strauss

yes, it (9.0) should be a lot faster as they rewrote tabcmd from I think Ruby to Java.

• 4. Re: Multiple tabcmd get commands at once
                Mat Hughes

To answer your question literally, there isn't a way to request multiple reports at once with tabCMD.  But, other options exist that would still solve your problem.

Jeffrey is right - there is a significant performance increase from 8.x to 9 because of the tabCMD re-write.  So, that may solve part of your problem, or at least make the wait tolerable. 

But - if you're just using the GET command to retrieve single-sheet PNG files, then you don't have to use tabCMD. You can just use an HTTP GET in your preferred scripting language.  Appending a .png to the end of your view URL will cause tableau to serve up a .png file instead of a dashboard.  Then you can just download that PNG using your script.  This will be MUCH faster than using tabCMD. 
                But, the above method doesn't have a great way of logging in.  So in addition to use the script, you would need to use trusted authentication so the machine you're running the script on can easily authenticate.

There is a decent chance that this may be more effort than it's worth (although, it's really not that bad.)  But, I just wanted to let you know that there were alternatives that will work much faster.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Multiple tabcmd get commands at once
                  tim.latona

Great suggestions, thanks! I started taking a stab at this in Python (it benefits my need to get better at scripting anyway).

I keep getting a 401 unauthorized with the script I have so far. I'm not clear on why though if you have any suggestions I'm all ears, but I'm making progress.

Thank you!

• 6. Re: Multiple tabcmd get commands at once
                    Mat Hughes

This is what I meant by the second-to-last paragraph:

But, the above method doesn't have a great way of logging in.  So in addition to use the script, you would need to use trusted authentication so the machine you're running the script on can easily authenticate.

You will need to add the box running the script as a trusted host and use trusted authentication.  See here:

Trusted Authentication

• 7. Re: Multiple tabcmd get commands at once
                      tim.latona

Hey Mat,

Apologies for missing that, I was so excited to get started I completely missed that point.

I saw this note in the trusted authentication information, "Concurrent use of Enable automatic login and trusted authentication is not supported."

I read this to mean we'd have to disable auto login to have trusted auth on even one box, correct? If so, that's probably a non-starter unfortunately.