2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2017 8:11 AM by Brad Sheridan

Adding and removing members to/from a set

Asha Wahi

I work in higher ed and I am developing a dashboard for students to browse/drill in and out of the long list of courses that are available for a quarter.

After reading about the courses, the student will then add specific courses into a "Favorites list", then view those classes onto a calendar view (filter = favorite courses set)

After a lot of thinking, adding those classes into a set seem the best way to approach this problem.

Issues:

1. Click on tooltip command button on the dashboard is not very intuitive for the students to add a course to a set. Is there a better way to do that?

2. Removing the members of the set. How do I clear the set? I cannot ask the student to re-click on each course and use the Remove from set function. Again, not user friendly. Is there a command that I can use?

• 1. Re: Adding and removing members to/from a set
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Asha,

We can use the include and exclude condition in filter and get correct thing here.

1. Adding Text Area for user input. We have order ids in report, the end user must type the ids and exclude those id’s don’t want to see in report?

Create parameter with string data type and select all.

If CONTAINS(""+[Text],STR([Order ID])) then 0 else 1 end

2. Adding Text Area for user input. We have order ids in report, the end user must type the ids and include those ids and don’t want to see other ids in report?

Create parameter with string data type and select all.

CONTAINS("," + [List of IDs] + ",", "," + STR([ID]) + ",") 

thanks

sankar

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding and removing members to/from a set
            Brad Sheridan

hi Sankarmagesh Rajan.  Doing reasearch online and found this thread.  It sounds exactly what I'm trying to do with "combined sets" in Tableau Desktop 10.3.2, but not having luck yet.

I have a dimension Customer, and of the 100 customers, 10 have a flag set to "Y".  I want the user of the dashboard to see those 10 customers on a bar chart for example, but have the ability to do a text search for another customer and "add it" to the chart.  Likewise they should be able to remove customers from the list.

Basically I'm trying to build a dynamic 'favorites' list and your code sounds pretty close.

Could you please elaborate on your solution or post a sample workbook?

Thanks

Brad