7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2015 8:45 AM by Toby Erkson

How long does Tabcmd hold its session info?

Gerardo Varela

I noticed that tabcmd saves session info is saved to C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\9.0\extras\Command Line Utility\tabcmd-session.xml.  I was under the assumption that this info would be destroyed when you log out of the session but it apparently doesn't? If I run a tabcmd  get command without pointing it to a server or giving it a username or password it prompts for my credentials.  I'm assuming its from tabcmd-session.xml? (these are all questions because I'm really just making assumptions)

Things I've tried:

1. Ran as an account that doesn’t have access to Tableau.  Fails as expected.
      2. Ran as an domain admin account without access to Tableau. Fails as expected.
      3. Ran as an account that has inter-actor license in Tableau.  Fails as expected.

Failed as expected.png

That's what I want to see when I don't explicitly give it a server, username, and password.

When I run it under my account, by the way we do not have Active Directory enabled in Tableau, it prompts me for my password as shown in the picture in below. What am I missing?

tabcmd question.png

So my question is how long does tabcmd keep the tabcmd-session.xml ?  Or is it safe to run my subscriptions then just add a step to delete the tabcmd-session.xml after I'm done running my subscriptions?

Regards,

Gerardo

• 1. Re: How long does Tabcmd hold its session info?
          Gerardo Varela

"Thank you very much for the detail email as well as the video and concern. The behavior is an expected behavior. If an account has been previously used, it is in the tabcmd log and can recall from previous session that there is that username. That is completely expected and by design for quicker access. " From support (by the way that was quick)

I'll post back to see if there is a way to clear the session info. From the bold makes me assume that you cannot unless you overwrite with another session.

Have a good weekend!

Gerardo

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How long does Tabcmd hold its session info?
            Jeff Strauss

there is no harm in having the tabcmd-session.xml continue to live on the c drive as it doesn't store any password info and only will hold the active session when credentials are specified via --password.  Do you think it's a security risk?

• 3. Re: How long does Tabcmd hold its session info?
              Gerardo Varela

tabcmd login -s http://localhost -u username -p password --no-cookie

Jeff,

This is one of the things that you see what's happening but your making assumptions as to the why it's happening. Just knowing that there is a way to get rid of the session info makes me feel better.

Regards,

Gerardo

• 4. Re: How long does Tabcmd hold its session info?
                Jeff Strauss

what is held within the xml file is really just an artifact and does not reflect an active session or not.  The sessions table within the PG database is the true indicator as to whether there is an active session and this session stays in place until you do a tabcmd logout (which removes the session), or it will timeout after the gateway timeout which is by default 240 minutes.

• 5. Re: How long does Tabcmd hold its session info?
                  Toby Erkson

Gerardo Varela wrote:

That's what I want to see when I don't explicitly give it a server, username, and password.

When I run it under my account, by the way we do not have Active Directory enabled in Tableau, it prompts me for my password as shown in the picture in below. What am I missing?

tabcmd question.png

You're missing the login ID and password.  With the above screen, you would type in your password, hit the 'Enter' key, and continue.  The password will not display the character so type slowly and carefully.   The login and password can be added to the tabcmd command as they are Global Options.  What you are seeing is expected as you did logout.

Gerardo Varela wrote:

...So my question is 1) how long does tabcmd keep the tabcmd-session.xml ?  2) Or is it safe to run my subscriptions then just add a step to delete the tabcmd-session.xml after I'm done running my subscriptions?

1)  What Jeff said.  --timeout can manually be adjusted.

2)  You're worrying about something you absolutely don't need to.  Doing that would be considered unsupported so if Tableau ever makes changes that involve that file (or maybe one day decide to never use it again) then that could break the process you have in place.

• 6. Re: How long does Tabcmd hold its session info?
                    Gerardo Varela

That's the whole point Toby.  I don't want Tableau to remember I was there.  If I don't explicitly state username and password I want it to error out.  What I was trying to show is that somewhere my username and server where being stored, which I thought was the tabcmd-session.xml.   

What I was trying to demonstrate: I'm not log into the Tableau server (tabcmd logout), I'm not passing the username or server, then it takes me to the authorization page? Why? How?  Well the why is answered by support as intended design for speed reasons.  The how is that the info is stored in a cookie.

Thank you all for your replies!

Gerardo

• 7. Re: How long does Tabcmd hold its session info?
                      Toby Erkson

I don't understand why but okay