1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 22, 2015 10:53 AM by Patrick Van Der Hyde

Another question about Open/Close dates (with a TWIST!)

Cong Wang

Hi All...

I'm working with a very large (3+M rows) in both a SQL database and an Excel worksheet (1M rows)... and I'm trying to figure out a way to create a stacked bar graph that uses the open, close and transfer times.

I've attached a very small made up sample of the type of data I'm working with.

Essentially, I want to take a look at, in a 24 hour time period (by hour) - what's the count of admissions, discharges and transfers (ideally in a stacked bar graph)

That means that in the Admission Time colour, there would be a count of 2x at 2:00 PM, and 1x at 5:00 PM, Discharge Time colour, there would be 2x at 1:00 AM and 1x at 2:00 AM and Transfer Time colour, there would be 1x at 4:00 PM, 1x at 2:00 Am and 1x at 8:00 PM.

I saw a solution posted on Tableau that had the data organized all in two columns, 1 with time and another with status, but because there's so many filters (I only have 4 on the sample but there's probably closer to 20+) - I thought it would be hard to organize so much data like that.

FINALLY to add on top of the confusion, in the sample data, everything that's green is in a SQL database, but everything in yellow is in an Excel spreadsheet....

I have no idea where to start as I got stumped when I couldn't dual axis the times...

Thanks...

Sample.png