11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 3:40 AM by gianni.petulla

Presentation mode on Server?

Mark Fraser

Originally the question was how do I move between worksheets (tabs) on Server? << This is outstanding... I don't know.

And then I thought... I'll use presentation mode and the arrow keys but I can't find a way to enter presentation mode on Server?! Is it possible?

Why do I want presentation mode on Server? Making a good first impression with Tableau... | Tableau Love

Cheers

Mark

• 1. Re: Presentation mode on Server?
          kettan

F11 puts the browser into full screen mode, but believe you want more than that 

It's a long time since I used Tableau Server (8.1) and not sure how Tableau Server 9.0 looks like and behaves. That said, I guess you ask for a feature where only the dashboard itself is seen, that is, all server menus and options are hidden.

Is this correctly understood?

I think the idea is very good and find it strange that seemingly no one has created it yet. You will get my up-vote!

Close Relatives

2015-06-12   02    Presentation Mode for Mobile App

2015-01-16   01    Story Point Presentation Mode

Distant Relatives

2013-03-28   30    Magnify View and Pane(s)

2012-07-17   21    Expand A Chart Contained On A Dashboard To The Entire Tableau Server Screen ...

• 2. Re: Presentation mode on Server?
            Toby Erkson

There is no presentation mode for Server in terms of what you are looking for.  A user is accessing the report via the Server portal, really, and thus that is the presentation mode because it allows the user to continue to access Server functions.

The argument of using Russell's blog post regarding first impressions as a reason is, bluntly put, weak.  It would be valid if you were comparing editing a report on the Server vs. its final form on the Server, for example:

Edit mode

Server "Presentation" mode

• 3. Re: Presentation mode on Server?
              Toby Erkson

Mark Fraser wrote:

Originally the question was how do I move between worksheets (tabs) on Server? << This is outstanding... I don't know...

Uhm...click on the tab?

Or are you talking about using a worksheet Action?  Please clarify.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Presentation mode on Server?
                kettan

I think it would be nice with an option that temporarily hides server menus (benefit 1: dashboards are easier to read; benefit 2: noise from menus is removed) and assume this is what Mark meant by presentation mode:

thread 179290 server presentation mode 2 44mm.png

• 5. Re: Presentation mode on Server?
                  Mark Fraser

Toby Erkson wrote:

Uhm...click on the tab?

Or are you talking about using a worksheet Action?  Please clarify.

Apologies I should have explained better which may answer the queries...

I meant swap worksheets via keyboard shortcuts... if I'm in presentation mode on Desktop I can swap worksheets using the arrow keys. << It was this requirement that made me think - is there a presentation mode on server?! and then if not, why not?

I don't want to lose the Server functionality permanently (just as I don't lose Desktop functionality permanently in  presentation mode) I simply want to (temporarily at my choosing) remove the 'distracting junk' from around the worksheets on Server - if/when I'm doing a presentation. (Kettan had it nailed above). Just as I would if using presentation mode on desktop.

Why would I be doing a presentation via Server? Because its the client facing product and I'm with the client.

Why wouldn't I be using desktop for the presentation? Because my PC could be in another country and inaccessible, I may want to do it on a tablet...

Cheers

Mark

• 6. Re: Presentation mode on Server?
                    Mark Fraser
                    F11 puts the browser into full screen mode, but believe you want more than that

Thanks Kettan, a 'diet' version of what I really wanted... I can't toggle between worksheets without the mouse for example and there is still a significant loss of screen 'real estate', but useful to know

That said, I guess you ask for a feature where only the dashboard itself is seen, that is, all server menus and options are hidden. Is this correctly understood?

Yes this is it!! Nothing more, just simple... or so I thought!

I think the idea is very good and find it strange that seemingly no one has created it yet. You will get my up-vote!

Close Relatives

2015-06-12   02    Presentation Mode for Mobile App

2015-01-16   01    Story Point Presentation Mode

It all seems so obvious... why not just have presentation mode in all products?! Currently only Reader & Desktop have it Up-voted Bill's ideas, thanks.

• 7. Re: Presentation mode on Server?
                      kettan

swap worksheets via keyboard shortcuts [in Server as in Desktop]

I am afraid that the only keyboard shortcuts "supported" by Tableau Server are those supported by browsers. Said differently: Server shortcuts are outside Tableau's control. The silence about shortcuts in  Server Online Help  versus its own reference page in  Desktop Online Help  is evidence of this.

Silence usually means a) "not supported" or b) "poorly supported" 

If one wants an overview of a) and b), one needs to study  Ideas  and  Forums 

• 8. Re: Presentation mode on Server?
                        Toby Erkson

Mark,

There is something you can do to sort of help put you closer to a Presentation mode*:

1.  Open a report

2.  At the top middle of the screen is a small rectangle with a grey triangle:

3.  Click it to hide the Server menu bar:

4.  You will see the triangle upside-down in a darker grey, click it to bring back the Server menu bar.

Hope that helps a little

*We are using Tableau Server 9.0.4.  I'm not sure about earlier versions.

• 9. Re: Presentation mode on Server?
                          Mark ODonnell

What about the option of embedding the views?  Granted you still would not have keyboard shortcuts, but you could force a full screen view with an embedded workbook.   We do this occasionally with embedded views in Sharepoint.

• 10. Re: Presentation mode on Server?
                            Paul Banoub

You may be able to get close to what you want with URL parameters

See passing filter parameters in url

• 11. Re: Presentation mode on Server?
                              gianni.petulla

I had the same problem.

Solved by adding ?:embed=yes to the url. It's not exactly presentation mode, but it's close enough.