4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2016 4:33 AM by jeeva kumar

Issue in Case insensitive

jeeva kumar

Hi,

Some thing is not working when i take same text in in different textual cases (e.g Spider man, SPider man, sPider man..etc). I have taken two films Spider man and bat man, in different textual cases with the state field and no of theaters field. I want to see Movie by no of theaters. My final result would be

Spider man: 6 (i.e., No of theaters)

Bat man: 7 (i.e., No of theaters)

But i am getting wrong output, can any one know about this and see the below images and also find the Twbx fileScreenshot (65).png

Screenshot (64).png

• 1. Re: Issue in Case insensitive
          Simon Runc

hi Jeeva,

No I wasn't aware that Tableau would act like that. I can see it's kind of realised they are the same, by only showing 2 movie names, but when equating the calculation I can see it's 'stacked' the results on top of one another as if they were different.

The simple workaround is to create a new UPPER case field on movie

UPPER([Movie])

can use that. I quite often in CONTAINS (and other text query) functions evaluate the test field to UPPER to avoid any case sensitive issues (I also do this outside Tableau when doing things like Fuzzy Matching).

Hope this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Issue in Case insensitive
            Vishal Saxena

Hi

I don,t understand your case.

Because the output you want-

Spider man: 6 (i.e., No of theaters)

Bat man: 7 (i.e., No of theaters)

is coming correctly.

If this only you want then you can see this attached workbook

In this I put the new data which I created you can see and if it is right Ok or else.

In second file I used your data.

you please elaborate your case?

• 3. Re: Issue in Case insensitive
              Mark Fraser

The simple workaround is to create a new UPPER case field on movie

UPPER([Movie])

Even better would be the proper function... http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1395

Personally I find things ALL IN CAPITALS LOOK LIKE SHOUTING

@Jeeva

I notice you have had a couple of questions/ issues around case of the data.

Personally I try and deal with cases before I extract data into Tableau (partly because of the missing proper function)

Depending on your data source you'll need 1 (or more) of these functions...

Cheers

Mark

• 4. Re: Issue in Case insensitive
                jeeva kumar

Hi Mark,

Can you let me know how to do the below query.

Design a view to create the nested table based on the continent wise average sales in each state.