4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2015 2:01 AM by Shankar Narayanan SGS

Tableau idle time out handling

Biyin Cai

Hi,

I have a Tableau Report embedded in a webpage of my web application. After several minutes of idling time, Tableau drops all filter choices. When I clicked on any of the filters, the report pages disappeared and a log in page to Tableau server pops up.I don't want to expose the server to my users.

Is there anyway to customize the time out reaction- like popping up an error page or reconnect, etc. instead of showing a log in page?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Tableau idle time out handling
          Jeff Strauss

are you sure it's only several minutes and how are you coming close to the memory max on your server?  there are timeout values, and as long as you're not maxing out on memory, the default idle is 30 minutes.  One option is to increase the timeout limit.  Another option is if you're using a proxy, then you could redirect based on the URI pattern.

vizqlserver.session.expiry.minimum 5

(Number of minutes of idle time after which a VizQL session is eligible to be discarded if the VizQL process starts to run out of memory).

vizqlserver.session.expiry.timeout 30 (Number of minutes of idle time after which a VizQL session is discarded.)

• 2. Re: Tableau idle time out handling
            Biyin Cai

Hi Jeffrey,

Ya it was not just several minutes - I think it's more than 30 minutes of idling time for my case. I'm using the A10 load balancer for my web application, what do I need to do to set up the redirect URL after timeout?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Tableau idle time out handling
              Jeff Strauss

I'm not familiar with the required rule config syntax within the load balancer side.  I have an nginx load balancer and I had my network guy do a bunch of config here for me.  Basically, you look for a specific URL or URI and then do an http redirect.

• 4. Re: Tableau idle time out handling
                Shankar Narayanan SGS

Hi Biyin,

You need to setup the timeout in both tableau as well as in your A10 load balancer. For Tableau you can set this parameter to increase the timeout to your desired minutes (default is 240 min)

tabadmin set wgserver.session.idle_limit <minutes>

You can set the same timeout in A10 through your Web GUI.

Regards