4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 9:23 AM by Matt Coles

VizAlert didn't give me what I expected:  No .csv and missing fields.

Toby Erkson

Here is the report that is in my workbook:

Here is an email I got:

While I did get the email as expected, only the Email Body * has been displayed in the email.  I expected to see the other item as well: Project Name, Workbook Name, Days since last viewed, and Months since last viewed.  Also, there was no .csv file attached to the email.

What did I do wrong?

• 1. Re: VizAlert didn't give me what I expected:  No .csv and missing fields.
          Matt Coles

It's a little hard to tell what's intended based on the image...if you could attach the workbook, even with just one row so the sensitive data could be removed, it'd be really helpful. However, I can tell you that the only content that will show in the Body of the email is:

" Email Header ~"

" Email Body *"

" Email Footer ~"

These calculated fields must be edited to inject the data you want to display. So, for example, you might do something like this for the " Email Body *" field:

"Hi [Workbook Owner], we found that you have not used the [Workbook Name] workbook in [Workbook Age (Days)]. Please delete your workbook if you no longer require it."

I will also say that it's precisely this kind of use case that the " Email Consolidate ~" field was implemented for. You could use that to send only one email to each person, but list all of the workbooks along with their ages within that email. Once we get this problem solved, let me know if you want to explore that one a bit more...it's a lot of fun.

• 2. Re: VizAlert didn't give me what I expected:  No .csv and missing fields.
            Matt Coles

I also forgot to mention in my last reply--CSV files are not attached to Advanced Alerts. That is only the case for Simple Alerts. There are multiple reasons for that:

1. The CSV data for the entire view may not be appropriate for all recipients (with Simple Alerts, we know that it is because the subscriber is the only recipient, and they are being impersonated via Trusted Tickets. Not so with Advanced Alerts--we have no idea who the recipients will be).

2. The CSV data for an Advanced Alert consists of the " Email ___ " fields, and that content can be confusing for people

3. The author of an Advanced Alert already has the ability to inject whatever (text) data from their viz they want to into the emails being sent, so if they wanted, they could build an HTML table that dumps the relevant data rows directly into the Body.

• 3. Re: VizAlert didn't give me what I expected:  No .csv and missing fields.
              Toby Erkson

Hmm, I swear I tried putting fields in the Email Body * but when I did that the field turns into a Measure and the viz 'breaks'.  That is why I wanted the Measure Names and .csv.  I re-opened my report and just tried it again and now it works [modifying the Email Body * field]...what the heck?

Here's the updated Email Body * that, yesterday, did not work but now it does:

The result:

Looks like this will take care of things.

Thanks for the clarification of Advanced Alerts.  I can understand why an attached .csv could be confusing so not including it in an Advanced Alert makes sense.

• 4. Re: VizAlert didn't give me what I expected:  No .csv and missing fields.
                Matt Coles

Cool! And, that's a pretty nice little alert you've got there!   A good way to keep authors keep Server clean.