9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 2:25 PM by Toby Erkson

Backing out or turning off the VizAlerts process?

Toby Erkson

Something is mucking with my QA Server now that everything has been installed.  I just get a blank screen with no way to log on.  I'm getting server alerts every 5 minutes about my Active Repository being down!

How do we turn this off?  Or does it require uninstalling everything?

• 1. Re: Backing out or turning off the VizAlerts process?
          Matt Coles

If you're getting errors from VizAlerts complaining that it can't connect to the Repository database, and you want to turn it off temporarily without rolling everything back, disable the Windows Scheduled Task like so:

disable_vizalerts.png

Once your server is back up and working again, you can use the same context menu to re-enable it.

• 2. Re: Backing out or turning off the VizAlerts process?
            Toby Erkson

I haven't even gotten that far!  There is no Task Scheduler task created yet.

• 3. Re: Backing out or turning off the VizAlerts process?
              Toby Erkson

I went back through the install guide and redid the Trusted Tickets and Repository Access sections (after stopping the Server, of course).  I must have missed a step because when I went to the VizAlerts directory in the cmd shell and ran the vizalerts.ph I got the following, which is a step better than before:

Does this look okay or is something still awry?

Also, my server-generated alert emails have stopped and I can log in to it now.  EGAD!

• 4. Re: Backing out or turning off the VizAlerts process?
                Matt Coles

Ha! Okay, that's good info then.

First, the server-generated alert emails have nothing to do with VizAlerts. Those are from Tableau Server itself, and I have no control over them.

Your output in the image above from the VizAlerts.py test shows that the trusted ticket test is failing. You should have gotten an email stating as much (If not, then I'm not handling my error properly there in the code). The "-1" result means that we made the request to Tableau Server for a new trusted ticket, but that it found something wrong with our request and rejected it. The details on what caused it to fail will be in one of the VizQLServer log files, at [install root]\data\tabsvc\logs\vizqlserver\vizql-*.log. Since this is a QA server, there's likely not much activity so the failure should be fairly easy to spot at the end of one of the logs--but if you prefer, you can send me all of them and I can find it for you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Backing out or turning off the VizAlerts process?
                  Toby Erkson

I know VizAlerts doesn't generate the emails but it is odd coincidence that without the steps completed that it was failing.  It was the trusted_hosts and extended_trusted_ip_checking that I didn't originally set.

config.yaml and log files emailed to you.  I think I may have mis-filled a couple entries in the .yaml file.

Oh, I did not get the email I should have.

• 6. Re: Backing out or turning off the VizAlerts process?
                    Matt Coles

Thanks Toby! Yes, the lack of an email is a bug, which I added to a running list I'll post in a second here...thanks for finding it.

The error I'm seeing in the vizql logs is:

2015-07-09 12:42:00.299 -0700 (Default,,-,VZ7OiKoCRGgAABO0xKkAAAJN) catalina-exec-45 : ERROR wgsessionId= com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.TrustedTicketServiceImpl - Missing username and/or client_ip

It sounds like maybe you've got extended_trusted_ip_checking set to "true" on Tableau Server, but you in the vizalerts.yaml file, you have the trusted.useclientip value set to "false"? That will mean that Tableau Server expects that anytime someone asks for a trusted ticket, they tell it what IP address it will be redeemed from. VizAlerts won't include the IP address when trusted.useclientip is set to "false".

The quickest way to remove the roadblock is to disable ip checking on Tableau Server with the following commands (and then a restart, of course):

tabadmin set wgserver.extended_trusted_ip_checking false
                    tabadmin configure

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Backing out or turning off the VizAlerts process?
                      Toby Erkson

I made the changes and still got the same error.  I checked the vizqlserver log and saw that the domain was not correct, I had it as the Server's address.  So I changed it in the vizalerts.yaml file to the Active Directory domain and re-ran the Python command and here's the results:

Does that look correct?

• 8. Re: Backing out or turning off the VizAlerts process?
                        Matt Coles

Congrats, your test worked!

• 9. Re: Backing out or turning off the VizAlerts process?
                          Toby Erkson

Ya-hoo!  Battle ready now, let's slap this filly on the rump and watch her go!