1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 11:55 AM by Matt Lutton

Why does formatting on one dashboard affect formatting on another dashboard?

Zachary Gallinger

I have a text table that I have inserted into a dashboard. After inserting the text table, I formatted the text styling. I then created a new dashboard and inserted the same text table. I want to format this version of the chart differently (different font sizes and styling). However, when I change the text table formatting in the second (new) dashboard, it changes the formatting of the text table in the original dashboard. I have accomplished this successfully before so I'm not sure why it is an issue now. Has anyone seen this problem previously?

• 1. Re: Why does formatting on one dashboard affect formatting on another dashboard?
          Matt Lutton

Hi Zachary:

Yes, this is expected behavior and Tableau is doing the right thing as any formatting placed on a specific worksheet should follow that same worksheet anywhere it is used in the workbook.

What you want to do is create a duplicate of the worksheet before creating the second dashboard.  Don't use the same sheet twice, as that one sheet's formatting will be consistent anywhere the sheet is used (as it should be)

Instead, duplicate the worksheet first, and use the different versions on the different dashboards.

Cheers