1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 7:24 AM by Rody Zakovich

Row Date Listing

Adam Harrison

I am trying to pull up a list of dates from each row , but each row has a history of dates, not one specific date. So I want to be able to search for a date and each row come up and it be showing the info that was true that date. For example, I have a list of sports teams, each time one of the teams has a game I put the score of the game in, who there opponent was, the date, and who won. Each team would get there own row, I would want to be able to put in a date and if there was a game on that date it would show up as a row. HELP!!!!

• 1. Re: Row Date Listing
          pooja.gandhi

You could potentially create a parametric solution. Create a parameter for showing all dates then create a calculated field over that parameter as shown below:

Capture.PNG

Drag the calculated field into filters to show only 1's (meaning all true values if the date in the parameter matches the order date). You can change this date to be true to your available fields.

• 2. Re: Row Date Listing
            Adam Harrison

This would work, If i didn't have a start date and a end date row :/

I am trying to find dates between the start and end dates

• 3. Re: Row Date Listing
              pooja.gandhi

Hey Adam,

What do you mean by that? Can you explain a little bit more? It would be better if you can mock up just a few sample rows of data along with our expected output.

• 4. Re: Row Date Listing
                Adam Harrison

Basically I have a start and end date in rows, I want to pull up dates between the start and end dates and the data attached. I don't know how to properly create a mock up, I have only been using tableau for a week or so.

• 5. Re: Row Date Listing
                  pooja.gandhi

You mean something like this?

Capture.PNG

• 6. Re: Row Date Listing
                    Adam Harrison

Yes, but when you put a date in parameter 3, i want it to show the history of a order if the date entered is between the order date and ship date. So if there is any extra information like location, what ever date you enter will show the location of the costumers package at that date

• 7. Re: Row Date Listing
                      pooja.gandhi

I am still not sure if I understand. If you need the date in the parameter to be historical dates, you can actually pull it from a specific field like 'order date' in this example. So the parameter will only show those dates when an order was made.

• 8. Re: Row Date Listing
                        Adam Harrison

I would like to be able to show the history of a row by imputing a date between the start and end date. So if there is extra information like the location of a package at a specific date I would be able to find where it was yesterday. Say I ordered a package that is going to take 5 days to get to me. If I get it in 4 and I wonder why, I would want to be able to go back and look at where it was the day before it came so I could see why it came sooner that expected. I hope this is a good example of what I mean

• 9. Re: Row Date Listing
                          Rody Zakovich

Hello Adam,

Is "Start Date" and "End Date" contained within the same Row?

If they are, you can include whatever data you want into the Viz and it will show up using Pooja's method.

Or you can make a Boolean

[Parameter 1] >= [Order Date] AND  [Parameter 1] <= [Ship Date]

If "Start Date" and "End Date" is not contained within the same row, then this becomes slightly more difficult.

Regards,

Rody

• 10. Re: Row Date Listing
                            Adam Harrison

They are in the same row, so how do I specify a date?

• 11. Re: Row Date Listing
                              Rody Zakovich

It depends, do you want the user to select whatever date they want?

If so you need to create a parameter like Pooja described.

This will give your end user the ability to select any date.

Right click in the Measure or Dimension Pane, click create Parameter.

From the drop down change it to Date and Select All.

Then create the calc as described by Pooja or Myself.

Does that make sense? Or do you need more help?

Regards,

Rody

• 12. Re: Row Date Listing
                                Rody Zakovich

Are you looking for something that looks like this?

6-19-2015 12-13-17 PM.png

Regards,

Rody

• 13. Re: Row Date Listing
                                  Adam Harrison

yes, something like that. Would this exclude any orders that ended before or started after the given date?

• 14. Re: Row Date Listing
                                    Rody Zakovich

Yes it would.

If that is not what you are looking for, then we need to take a step back.

Let's say we have a company (Let's call it company X). Company X makes several purchases throughout the year. Every time they make a new purchase, a row is written into your database for Order Date and Ship Date (Similar to the Superstore example).

The current method, will allow you to enter a date, and pull back all orders where the Parameter Date exists between the Order Date and the Ship Date.

But I don't know if this is actually what you want. It sounds like you want to know, if the parameter date falls between ANY purchase made by Company X, then you want to Show a history of every order Company X has made. If Parameter Date does not exist between any of their orders, then you want to exclude them.

Is this correct?

Regards,

Rody

1 2 Previous Next