1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2019 4:40 AM by tharashasank.davuluru.4 Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 15. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
        Toby Erkson

Excellent!  Glad it's working

• 16. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
          Leigh Fonseca

Hi Toby,

I love this alert.  We know we have aging workbooks on the server and rather than me having to check on aging content and alert developers individually, this alert will programmatically call their attention to their content.  Great!

One issue I'm running into testing this is that "Forgotten Workbooks" is displaying content that has already been deleted from the servert.  There is a dashboard I deleted two months ago that is appearing in the "Forgotten Workbooks" view.  I don't want to send my developers a daily nag message for an asset that's no longer on the server.  Have you seen this?

Is there a way to filter on current content (it's currently displayed on the server) and only display those assets in the 'Forgotten Workbooks" view?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kindest regards,

Leigh

• 17. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
            Toby Erkson

Leigh, I have not experienced this issue you are having.  Now, I have seen workbooks where authors have duplicated the name so the "report" shows up twice...luckily though with a different age.  You can see that I used a simple INNER JOIN for the Tableau tables/views so there is no hard-core checking if the workbook is truly deleted but that hasn't been an issue for me like I said so...?

Just some loud thinking:

• Check your filter to make sure you are filtering to the correct age of the workbook. 
            • Go to the URL in the Email Body to make sure that you get an error message stating the workbook doesn't exist.
            • I wonder if maybe there's a queue issue...I only run mine once per day and our cache is Balanced (15 minutes).

BTW, your last name always catches my eye because I like port wine

• 18. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
              Matt Coles

Just to be clear, VizAlerts always forces a refresh on the alert view, so caching shouldn't be in play. I can see from the way Toby built the alert, if a workbook is deleted, it definitely should not send an alert out for that workbook. If you extracted the data and published the alert that way, it could cause this if it didn't refresh quickly enough, or at all. But that's the only thing I can think of...

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              • 19. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                Toby Erkson

Thanks for clarifying the caching bit

• 20. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                  Leigh Fonseca

I hope you both have had a great holiday and thank you both for chiming in on this. I've been offline in the snow and am back working on my alerts. I think I found an issue in our process where there were duplicate copies of workbooks in unexpected folders.  Thus, we thought we had removed old content but it was also living somewhere else.

WorkbookA in Project1 and in Project2.  WorkbookA was correctly deleted from Project1 but a second, orphaned copy existed in Project2.  The reason I'm calling these Project1 and Project2 is that this was not a Dev vs Prod Project issue, but rather content was published to an unrelated Project.  Tracking this down has helped us clean these bits up   Thank you!

On a separate note, I noticed that [Size (MB)] is defined as: [size]/1024. This puzzled me as I knew that the server reported the file size as 81.7 MB while the 

This puzzled me as I knew that the server reported the file size as 81.7 MB while the  [Size (MB)] measure was reporting that it was 1,676,154 MB...hm.

I checked the data dictionary and it seems that [size] is in bytes, so the [Size (MB)] should be defined as: [size]/1048576

However, when I updated the calculated field and put it on the Columns shelf, I got 1,637 MB. And that was too large. A Goldilocks connundrum.  I realized that I needed to change the [Size (MB)] to ATTR or MIN or AVG because SUM was giving me too large a number.  It seems that there was more than one record for some of the workbooks that caused size to be over reported.  It might be helpful to others if you could review this and update the (awesome) template workbook.

And thanks for the Port reference.  It's a tasty one and a nice namesake. 

Kindest regards,Leigh

• 21. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                    Toby Erkson

Leigh,

I opened the original workbook (Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want ) and there is only "size" in the Measures.  You are correct in that the aggregate, SUM(), should not be used.  I changed it to the MIN() function and the values were correct, thank you for that correction

I have now added the following two Measures (they were not in the original workbook):

1. size (KB)
                    2. size (MB)

These two Measures use the appropriate conversion calculation formula.  They are not used in the workbook but are added for user convenience.

• 22. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                      Leigh Fonseca

That's great, Tony!  A boost for future users.  Thanks

• 23. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                        David Mejia

Hi Guru Toby and Matt,

How are you? I've followed the steps here accordingly and my workbook is working fine. 1 question though, how did you format it the way it looks below. My output is not the same and i did not edit the twb. I implemented it as is. Also, how were you able to format the subject line to show the object? In Tableau Server 9.2, it asked me for Subject line when you subscribe, do I put the "'PROD Tableau Server Alert! - ' + [object_name]"? It seems this one is String field and not a formula? Also,  Is this done by commandline?

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks,

David

• 24. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                          Toby Erkson

Use HTML for formatting.  If you Edit the Email Body * field you will see the <B> tag which means bold.  If you plan on changing formatting, positioning, etc., then you need to understand the very basics of the HTML language.

I just leave the Subject line alone when performing a subscription.  Matt's code replaces that subject line with the one used in the Email field, Email Subject *.

I don't understand what you mean by "Is this done by commandline".

• 25. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                            David Mejia

Thanks Toby for the quick reply.

Yes, I am familiar with HTML formatting.

As for subject line when you subscribe, it cannot be blank in Tableau Server 9.2.2. (Latest one). It has to be populated. So I am guessing this may not be applicable.

As for the command line,  you can actually perform all the stuff on the web through command line.

Also, I will also look if this can be triggered only when there is an error.

Examples

Views

tabcmd export "Q1Sales/Sales_Report" --csv -f "Weekly-Report.csv"

tabcmd export -t Sales "Sales/Sales_Analysis" --pdf -f "C:\Tableau_Workbooks\Weekly-Reports.pdf"

tabcmd export "Finance/InvestmentGrowth" --png

tabcmd export "Finance/InvestmentGrowth?:refresh=yes" --png

Workbooks

tabcmd export "Q1Sales/Sales_Report" --fullpdf

tabcmd export #/Sales "Sales/Sales_Analysis" --fullpdf --pagesize tabloid -f "C:\Tableau_Workbooks\Weekly-Reports.pdf"

Let me find a workaround.

Thanks,

David

• 26. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                              Matt Coles

Hi David--did you already set the VizAlerts Python script up to run? That is the code responsible for doing essentially what you showed above with your tabcmd stuff, and is what will convert the CSV data to emails formatted the way Toby's workbook is describing. Tableau Server on its own can only send a "Subscription" email, which will try to render your view to a PNG instead, and will not convert it to a pretty HTML email as Toby's example shows.

If you haven't set it up yet, please download it here and read through the install guide--it should get you started.

If you have, could you show us an example of the email it's currently generating for you?

• 27. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                                David Mejia

Thanks Matt. I didn't realize there was a script. That was the part I was trying to understand. My bad I did not read from beginning. I just started on reading on alert 2.0. Let me take a look at it and will keep you posted.

• 28. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                                  Toby Erkson

Hey, be sure to check out Matt Coles awesome solution here:  Example: Email users whose extracts fail to refresh

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                  • 29. Re: Alerts you've created, Alerts that you want
                                    Anitha p

Hi Matt Coles

Can you please tell me how you implemented alerts for ETL Latency. I'm trying to create an alert in tableau 10.2 if any ETL job fails so that we would have a clear idea as to why the report is showing stale data.