1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2015 6:40 AM by Jonathan Drummey

State of the Crow's Nest!

Hey all,

I'll be giving sporadic updates on our unanswered questions (Crow's Nest) to encourage participation so that every person who posts in our wonderful community receives a response.

Here's where we're at:

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 10.32.39 AM.png

We had a very strong day yesterday with only 4 unanswered posts. Overall, we have 7 weeks and 234 total threads that could use some love. I know I'll be in there today answering some questions and I would love to see some of you as well :-)

As always, I'm super impressed with the fantastic work our Community does and I appreciate the passion I see every day. Thank you!

-Diego

• 1. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Indeed - it is great to see so many people helping each other.  The number of unanswered posts is way down over the last few weeks and this response will eliminate another one.  

Patrick

• 2. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
            Shawn Wallwork

Sorry guys but your somewhat optimistic report on 'where we are' is a bit 'skewed'. Here's where we are today:

Lossing Battle.png

I was going to post a thread on how difficult it is going to be moving forward to keep this viz 'blanked' each week. The question volume has grown beyond our ability to respond to every question, unfortunately. I can see only two ways to keep up:

1. Hire more Patricks & Diegos.
            2. Don't let 'bad' questions get posted in the first place.

And I had so hoped we would get one year of white space.

--Shawn

• 3. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
              Patrick A Van Der Hyde

we are working it.     

The good news is - it's a 6 week backlog and the bad news is the columns are taller than they were this time last month. 

Patrick

• 4. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
                Shawn Wallwork

I'm going to assume that given your age you will not completely understand the term: 'Pollyanna'

But it does apply.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 5. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
                  Shawn Wallwork

OK, on a more serious note; anyone of us could clear out any week by just asking: 'Are you still looking for an answer?' But that's not what the Crow's Nest is all about (or should be all about). I guess my point is that 'well asked questions' will attract answers.

--Shawn

• 6. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
                    kettan

I was going to post a thread on how difficult it is going to be moving forward to keep this viz 'blanked' each week. The question volume has grown beyond our ability to respond to every question, unfortunately. I can see only two ways to keep up:

1. Hire more Patricks & Diegos.
                    2. Don't let 'bad' questions get posted in the first place.

A third option is to hire writers such as Joshua, Jim, Jonathan, and Shawn!    to document what Tableau is not good at!  and of course also what it is good at 

Seriously, questions & answers are generally about what Tableau is not good at. Having a well structured wiki documentation will in my opinion often help questioners to find answers themselves. When they don't, sharing a link to a specific page or category might be enough to help questioner and save time for helpers in repeating already often answered answers.

Although it probably is painful for Marketing & Sales to emphasize what their products are not good at or can't do, I do believe it will increase sales because of the signal of honesty and care for customers rarely seen. Even if it doesn't, it is still a right thing to do.

Forums  and  Ideas  already do the job of documenting Tableau's weaknesses.

What is missing is findability of well written answers.

A clear overview of weaknesses is also very helpful to Tableau when deciding & prioritizing what to improve next.

As strange as it sounds, it is a win-win solution for customers and Tableau.

One might think that a significant reduction of duplicate-questions destroys a visible and valuable pain indicator. Having a 'This helped me' button counter on each wiki page and links to appropriate ideas are actually much better pain indicators since statistics is included out-of-the-box whereas counting of duplicate-questions is manual labor never done.

Previous thoughts on the same issue:  The specified item was not found.

Ps.  I have disabled email notifications  and stumbled on this thread by accident.

I mentioned this in case responders get no response from me.

• 7. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
                      kettan

Maybe the Crows Nest dashboard should have a filter on  questioner's question number <= parameter  so true first timers can be helped first !?  Second in line maybe questioners who never received a correct answer ?!

Explanation of  !? and ?!:

!!__an excellent move
                      !a particularly good—and usually surprising—move
                      !?an interesting move that may not be best
                      ?!a dubious move – one which may turn out to be bad
                      ?a bad move
                      ??a blunder

Source:  Algebraic notation (chess) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 8. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
                        kettan

understand the term: 'Pollyanna'

"The Glad Game," an optimistic attitude !?

Pollyanna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 9. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
                          kettan

Moving this thread to  Canvas  would make it easier to re-find later since mentioned forum is relatively inactive.

• 10. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
                            Shawn Wallwork

Dang that was fast! More Patrick and Diego's are on the way:

Want to join the Tableau Community Team - Opening in Dublin

Note the goal in the Job Description:

• Verify that every question in the Community receives initial response within 14 days.

That'll be great! Now if we can just figure out a way to control the volume of questions; better searches, better questions.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 11. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
                              kettan

Now if we can just figure out a way to control the volume of questions; better searches, better questions.

I believe adding a true Tableau Wiki is a way to go as  repeatedly mentioned  and hereby mentioned again just in case it is forgotten   This must be stored on a true wiki platform so its category-ability, find-ability and reference-ability is tip-top.  I am quite sure that this platform is not Jive.

Although perhaps not common in wiki solutions, it should also

• promote the most helpful and popular pages as part of its find-ability and
                              • make it easy for readers to give structured feedback such as This helped me and
                              • make a page's popularity known on the page itself as indicator of its quality (explanation & solution) and quantity (users feeling the pain). Quality could be based on direct feedback on the page whereas quantity could be based on number of references (especially in correct answers) from questions in  Forums.

2 of this new employee's top 7 essential functions are to add and improve KB articles (# 5 and 6) and 1 is about moderating the structure of the Community (# 3). Responsibility # 1, 2 and 7 are about adding content. To me, all of these would benefit from a strong Tableau Wiki solution, which also would reduce the volume of questions.

Primary Responsibilities (Essential Functions):

1. Review and coordinate forum answers.
                              2. Verify that every question in the Community receives initial response within 14 days.
                              3. Moderate the structure of the Community.
                              4. Attend user groups as a technical resource.
                              5. Write and update KB/KCS articles.
                              6. Review Tableau Community issues and questions for inclusion in the KB.
                              7. Provide responses and feedback to the Tableau Community addressing product questions.
                              • 12. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
                                Shawn Wallwork

Agree with all you've said Kettan!

--Shawn

• 13. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
                                  kettan

Glad to hear.

Just so you know, I have since added some words about the importance of structured feedback from readers. Structured is key to serve learners with promoted popular-quality-pages based on statistics.

• 14. Re: State of the Crow's Nest!
                                    Ken Patton

I'd love it if the Crow's Nest viz could be modified somehow to distinguish the posts that have had literally no replies of any kind at all (There's an old Genesis song for that.), versus those that got at least one reply and were not yet marked as "answered".  I waste a lot bandwidth looking at threads that already have replies and thus I am no longer any help.

Or perhaps that's operator error on my part and I need to interact with the Crow's Nest workbook differently.

1 2 Previous Next