1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 5:49 AM by Simon Runc

Getting region (state) detail when I have altitude/longitude

Dimitrios Tsonis

Hello,

As you can see in the attached packaged file, I have my sales with their geolocation data, so I can show in the map each single transaction. The data is for the Netherlands in this example.

I would like to know how we can translate this into city or region level.

Region is what I really need right now, but city is also interesting to know.

What I mean, is that somehow I need to make Tableau recognize that the specific combination of longitude and altitude means that the sale took place in the specific region X. Then I can use this information to report on region level (sales per region), but also to paint the regions map of the Netherlands based on various KPIs.

What is really interesting is that Tableau 9 already has the regions information in it, e.g. I can see the borders between regions and the regions names.

I hope than since this is the case, it should be really easy to make Tableau recognize the region of each sale.

I found (thanks to Google) some old tutorials about Tableau 7, where basically you had the "level of detail" shelf and from there you could select the geographical level, but in Tableau 9 this has been replaced by the "detail" button in the marks shelf and it is not reacting to my clicks.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Getting region (state) detail when I have altitude/longitude
          Simon Runc

hi Dimitrios, I'm not sure what levels Tableau has 'built in' for the Netherlands (in the UK we have Post Code [1st part], City, County), but Tableau needs to have these fields in the data in order to use them. In the example you've seen from T7, I imagine they were using the Superstore dataset which has State and City as fields in the data.

If you do need a level of geography that Tableau doesn't have 'built-in' for the Netherlands you can create your own 'custom polygons', based from the boundary file for that level.

The recognised geography levels only work one way, i.e. if you have city Tableau will generate Long and Lat for that city so you can plot, but if you had the Long and Lat for a city it wouldn't know what city that was.

Hope this makes sense, but please post back if not (or if you want some help with creating custom polygons)