1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 5:59 PM by Esther Aller

Running total by dimension to end at the same point

Andrew Buttigieg

I have a simple running total table calculation on a line graph, then added a Dimension to the Color section of the Marks Card. This gave me this:

RunningTotalActual.PNG

But I would like both "Progressive Status" series to complete at the end of the graph, so it appears something like this:

RunningTotalTarget.PNG

My Data looks a little like this (the Progressive Status Count is simply the record count)

Progressive DateProgressive Status
      2015-05-21Progressive Created
      2015-10-09Progressive Should be Closed
      2015-09-30Progressive Should be Closed
      2015-09-30Progressive Should be Closed

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Running total by dimension to end at the same point
          Esther Aller

Hi Andrew,

The view can be achieved by creating a calculated field that finds the running sum for just Progressive Created, and then adding the calculation to the view as a dual axis:

1. Select Analysis > Create Calculated Field
          2. In the Calculated Field dialog box that opens, do the following, and then click OK:
            1. Name the calculated field. In this example, the calculated field is named "Running total of Progress Created"
            2. In the formula field, create a calculation similar to the following:

RUNNING_SUM( COUNT(
                 IF [Progressive Status] = "Progressive Created"
              THEN [Progressive Date]
              END
              ))

3. Drag [Running total of Progress Created] to the Rows shelf
          4. On the marks card for Running total of Progress Created, remove [Progressive Status] from Color
          5. Right-click on [Running total of Progress Created] on the Rows shelf and select Dual Axis
          6. Right-click on the right-hand axis in the view and select Synchronize Axis

Note, you could also create a second calculation that returns the running sum of count of dates for Progressive Should be Closed and graph both calculations on the same axis.

I hope this answers your question!