2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 7:49 AM by andy.yu

Tableau Server multiple data connections

andy.yu

Hello,

My question is regarding Tableau Server and publishing the data source to it and some clarifications about it.

We currently have a SQL Server database and if we publish the data source to Tableau Server, I know it'll work and we can schedule it to refresh the data source, etc..

But what happens if we publish another data source to Tableau Server, but this time it's from an entirely different database, for example an Oracle database.

So in our SQL Server database, we gave the "Run As User" account permission to login (we use Windows authentication). But if we publish something from an entirely different database, like Oracle, etc.. would we be able to do that still?

Would we then have to setup the "Run As User" account in the Oracle database so that when we publish the data source it can communicate with it still?

Sorry, I hope that kind of makes sense. If anyone has some documentation or a link I could reference would be great.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Tableau Server multiple data connections
          Russell Christopher

It depends on whether Oracle "respects" AD and trusts the AD user under which Tableau Server is running. If it does, yes. Run As User will work. If no, it won't.

To be positive connectivity will work for you, you might just want to consider embedding an Oracle username/password in the connection that you publish to Tableau Server - that way you don't have to rely on Oracle "honoring" AD authentication requests AND that the RunAs user actually has perms inside Oracle itself.

• 2. Re: Tableau Server multiple data connections
            andy.yu

Hi Christopher,

Thanks so much for the response. That really clarifies everything and I might try to do your suggestion of embedding the username/password of the Oracle database.

That would make it work I think on our end just because we don't control the Oracle database and setting all that up on their end might not be feasible.

Thanks again for your suggestion!