1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2017 2:00 PM by Karthik Venkatachalam

tabjolt config question

Jeff Strauss

Tableau engineers, please help.  Right now I am getting this error and a few others.

dataretriever.png

I am wondering if I need to change the following:

1. Within ServerTestConfig.yaml, there is a database section.  What should the "serverName: 10.17.136.103" be as I don't recognize this IP and it's not specified in instructions.  Should it point at my PG for tabjolt or PG for Tableau, or just leave it well enough alone.

2. Within dataretriever.config, there is a section for hosts with default of <host name="localhost">.  The instructions are vague.  Should this be left alone?  I have a clustered dev environment with a primary (ord-tbldev103) and two workers (ord-tbldev101 and ord-tbldev102) that do all the work.  Also, the processes that are listed within this section, do I need to update these?

• 1. Re: tabjolt config question

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for sharing your deployment - that helps.

I have not see the data retriever error before. kaifeng zeng, have you seen this or have thoughts?

Are you collecting perfmon data remotely on a machine in a different domain or locally? For remote machines, your Tableau Server RunAs User (eg. Network Service) should have the permissions to collect data. If not, you need to provide the user id creds for a user that has permissions to collect perfmon data from machine in different domain

For your question about servertestconfig and the data base section:

There are 2 ways for Tabjolt to get a list of workbooks and load test them. One is through the Vizpool.csv file and the other is through DB (You can specify which one to use in PerfTestConfig.yaml). The "server database connection information" section is not needed unless you want to get the list of workbooks through DB.

Lastly, thanks for the feedbacks on the documentation. We will review and clarify this in our upcoming updates to docs. The hostname should be the server name where you want to collect the metrics.

Thanks!

Neelesh

• 2. Re: tabjolt config question
            kaifeng zeng

It could be your data retriever's configuration is malformed. Do you see the same issue when you use the default data retriever config?

• 3. Re: tabjolt config question
              Jeff Strauss

have you successfully run tabjolt before against a distributed clustered environment?

• 4. Re: tabjolt config question
                kaifeng zeng

Yes... It support distributed environment. DataRetriever is the agent which collect windows performance counters as well as jmx counters from each of the tableau server workers. It is optional if you don't need those metrics. You will need to make sure that jmx is enabled in your tableau server (by looking at the the config, it seems that you are not collecting the jmx information currently). Try to collect one worker first and make it easier to troubleshoot. Make sure that the remove registry services is running (by going to services.msc in your tableau server worker machine. Should be running by default unless your company has security restriction.) so that Tabjolt can connect to remote machine to collect windows perf counters

• 5. Re: tabjolt config question
                  Jeff Strauss

We're getting closer.  I have jmx enabled on the cluster and the runas id has full rights on the workers

1. what do you mean by make sure that the remove registry services is running?

2. what should the value be for servername within dataretriever?

3. can you supply a sample dataretriever config that goes against a cluster with workers?

thanks, Jeff

• 6. Re: tabjolt config question
                    kaifeng zeng

Here is the snippet in the hosts section. Make sure that you don't change anything else. If you go to "run" in your tableau worker and type in services.msc (the windows services control panel will show up), then find the service called "remote registry" and make sure that it is running state.

<hosts>           
                    <host name="server1.tsi.lan">
                    <applicableCounterGroups>  

<applicableCounterGroup>machineStatus</applicableCounterGroup>

<applicableCounterGroup>tableauProcess</applicableCounterGroup>
                    <applicableCounterGroup>vizqlserver</applicableCounterGroup>
                    <applicableCounterGroup>dataserver</applicableCounterGroup>
                    <applicableCounterGroup>vizportal</applicableCounterGroup>
                    </applicableCounterGroups>
                    </host>
                    <host name="server2.tsi.lan">
                    <applicableCounterGroups>  

<applicableCounterGroup>vizqlserver</applicableCounterGroup>
                    <applicableCounterGroup>dataserver</applicableCounterGroup>
                    <applicableCounterGroup>vizportal</applicableCounterGroup>
                    </applicableCounterGroups>
                    </host>

</hosts>

• 7. Re: tabjolt config question
                      Jeff Strauss

Thanks kaifeng zeng We're even closer now.  Have a look at the attached.  It doesn't like something within here.  Any ideas?

dataretreiver_error.png

• 8. Re: tabjolt config question
                        kaifeng zeng

Could you please do me favor? disable the following line, so that we can rule out it is crashing when trying to collect windows counter. Also, could you please attach your result folder and log folder under Tabjolt.

<!--

-->

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: tabjolt config question
                          Jeff Strauss

it didn't crash when I commented out those two lines.

• 10. Re: tabjolt config question
                            Jeff Strauss

maybe the machine counter names are different for windows 2012 r2?  this is where I am running.

• 11. Re: tabjolt config question
                              kaifeng zeng

does you runas account have permission to collect perf counter from the worker? you can first confirm that with perfmon. You can enable the following line to impersonate different user when neccessary.

<!--impersonation is only needs when you need to collect windows perf counters from other domain which your current runas user doesn't have permission to access-->

<!--

<settings>   
                              <impersonation userName="user" password="password" domain="domainName"/>
                              </settings>
                              -->
                              • 12. Re: tabjolt config question
                                Jeff Strauss

yes.  I tried out perfmon with the runas user on both workers and it works, also I tried the impersonation option.

Do I need a .Net framework on the tabjolt injector?  It runs on the network but is a VM and runs in a different data center than my dev Tableau cluster.

• 13. Re: tabjolt config question
                                  kaifeng zeng

You will need to run perfmon from Tabjolt injector and connect to the remote machine to simulate what tabjolt is doing. Yes, you will need .net framework, but I assume that is not the problem since you were able to collect jmx counters after you disabled the 2 lines for windows perf counters.

• 14. Re: tabjolt config question
                                    Jeff Strauss

ok, I will work on this later.  thanks.

1 2 Previous Next