3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 6:31 PM by Bruce Wayne

What is the difference between LIVE or Extract Connection?

Sara Shakeel

HI,

what is the difference between tableau live and Extract Connection??? if my data is live then my dashboard will automatically change or not??

• 1. Re: What is the difference between LIVE or Extract Connection?
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Sara,

When we connect live then data will update, when we open view in server then we can see most recent data.

if we use the extract then we can schedule our workbook and get new updated data.

Thanks

sankar

• 2. Re: What is the difference between LIVE or Extract Connection?
            Ken Patton

There are many aspects to this question.

A Tableau Data Extract is a disk-based columnar database snapshot of the Data Source. It has the advantages of being columnar (which provides compression, pre-computed aggregates, and so on), and Tableau can address it directly in vizql without needing a driver to translate vizql into SQL.

A live connection is exactly that; the response time is wholly drive by the upstream data supply's ability to respond to queries in real time.

As for the "automatic" part -- it depends on what you mean. Certainly in a live connection, any interaction with the viz will fire off a query to the data supply to get the current values, whereas an Extract is more of a static snapshot of the data supply unless and until the Extract is Refreshed.

So the real questions become (1) how often is the upstream data updated, and how often does the view need to be updated with the latest ? and (2) which method gives better performance in your environment?

• 3. Re: What is the difference between LIVE or Extract Connection?
              Bruce Wayne

Thanks for the reply.

The affected sheets are no longer showing the error.

However if i have to update the data frequently, is there anyway other way to resolve the error instead of using extract connection?