1 Reply Latest reply on May 18, 2015 5:39 PM by Esther Aller

How do I highlight high and low numbers in string of numbers?

Steve Holland

Tableau Newbie here.

I have a survey which asked 29 questions which asked the respondents to indicate their level of agreement with on a 5-point Likert scale. I have created a Tableau page that averaged their responses and broke them down based on characteristics of the respondent. I would like Tableau to identify for each question the high and low respondent group. For example, if the question was:

"The school has a clearly defined purpose and mission"

and the averages for the eight respondent groups were:

3.7     3.9     3.9     3.5     3.9     4.7     4.5     4.3

I would like 3.5 to be red and 4.7 to be green.

Any ideas? I've attached a PDF of the screen and the workbook. (Though I don't think the data will come through, right?)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I highlight high and low numbers in string of numbers?
          Esther Aller

Hi Steve,

Currently Tableau Desktop does not have a way to conditional format individual columns in a crosstab built into the product. In order to do format each column individually, we must force Tableau Desktop to give us a marks card for each column. We can do that using a 'container' calculated field.

CREATE A CONTAINER CALCULATED FIELD

1. Select Analysis > Create Calculated Field.
          2. In the Calculated Field dialog box that opens, do the following, and then click OK:
            1. Name the calculated field. In this example, the calculated field is named Container.
            2. In the Formula field, type 0

CREATE THE VIEW

1. Drag any desired dimensions to the Rows shelf
          2. Drag two copies of [Container] to the Columns shelf
          3. Drag the first measure onto Text and Color on the marks card for both copies of [Container]. Note the marks cards will be labeled Sum(Container) and Sum(Container) (2).
          4. Right-click on second copy of [Container] on the Columns shelf and select Dual Axis
          5. Repeat steps 2-4 for each column in the crosstab

CLEAN UP THE VIEW

1. Right-click the first field on the Columns shelf and then select Format.
          2. In the Format pane that appears, click the paintbrush icon.
          3. From the Zero Lines drop-down menu, select None. See attached image.
          4. Close the Format Lines plane by clicking the x at the top right corner.
          5. For each column on the bottom axis, right-click the axis and then select Edit Axis.
          6. In the Edit Axis dialog, do the following and click OK:
            1. On the General tab, change the title to blank
            2. On the Tick Marks tab, select None for Major tick marks and Minor tick marks
          7. For each column on the top axis, right-click the axis and then select Edit Axis.
          8. In the Edit Axis dialog, do the following and click OK:
            1. On the General tab, change the title as desired
            2. On the Tick Marks tab, select None for Major tick marks and Minor tick marks

I hope this answers your question!