1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 11:58 PM by Donna Coles

Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page

Jeff Strauss

To our happiness, each individual user is able to set a default start page to a Tableau viz of their choosing.  But as admin, the option to set a viz as the default across the site is grayed out.  Any ideas how to enable?  I verified that the viz I was trying to set; everybody has access.

default.png

• 1. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
          Mark Fraser

Hi Jeffrey

From page 163 of the Tableau Server 9 Admin Guide -

Change Your Start Page

Tableau Server installs with Views as the default start page for all users. Administrators can also specify a different default start page. The URL for your current start page is displayed here. Click the link to go to the page.

To designate a different start page for yourself, navigate to the server page you want (such as Workbooks), click your name in the upper right corner of the page, and then click Make This My Start Page.

To return to using the start page designated by your administrator, click your user name, and then click My Account Settings. For start page, click Reset to Default.

And this from page 204 (tiny bit on page 203)

Set the Default Start Page for All Users

By default, Tableau Server installs with the Views page as the default start page for all users.

As the administrator, you can change this to another page that all users have access to, such as the Workbooks page. Individual users will be able to override your setting (see Manage Your Content and Account Settings on page 159 for details).

To set the default start page for all users:

1. Navigate to the page you want to be the default page.

2. Click your name on the upper right corner of the page.

3. Select Make This the Start Page for All Users.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
            Jeff Strauss

This doesn't really help as I already have seen this and am not looking for a how-to guide of known documented functionality.  I more so found it odd that within 9.0, individual users could set a default start page to be a viz, but the option for an admin to do set the default start page to be a viz is grayed out.  Why would this be, am I doing something wrong, or is it just not enabled in 9.0?

• 3. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
              vikram bandarupalli

Jeffrey, I was able to set the default page for all, as an admin. This is enabled with the default 9.0 install. I don't think there is a place to enable/disable this option.

-  check your permissions to make sure you're the system admin.

- What level are you trying to set the default?( workbook, view, project etc)

Vikram

• 4. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
                Jeff Strauss

thanks Vikram.  Yes, I am logged in as admin and can set the default page (for all users) to one of the portal pages (e.g. workbooks, views), but I wanted to be able to set it to a specific viz.  Each individual user can set it to a viz, but it's grayed out disabled to do it across the environment for all users.  Upon hacking the portal javascript (within Chrome debugger) on my sandbox, I can set the viz as the default start page, however I don't really want to hack in dev or prod.

• 5. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
                  Paul Banoub

In V8 you could only set the start page to be as low as the workbook level. In V9 they've changed that so you can set it to the view level.

This opens up the ability to set a custom landing page / portal for all users.

Mark Jackson has written a guide on how to do that Custom Tableau Server Landing Page

• 6. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
                    Toby Erkson

Hey Jeff, I understand what you're looking for but I don't have v.9 yet so I can't verify.  I'm guessing it isn't possible.

• 7. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
                      Jeff Strauss

thanks Paul.  Yes, I see that individual users can change the default start page to a specific view, however it cannot be done by admins across a site as the option is disabled.

• 8. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
                        Toby Erkson

Hey Jeff, out of curiosity, is the default start page stored in the Server db?  If so, maybe you could change it yourself...naturally, you'd have to UPDATE all those fields and it would totally be unsupported by Tableau.  I'm no PostGRE dba so I have no idea (nor desire) to do such a thing.

Even if you were able to do this, what would keep a user from changing it?

• 9. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
                          Jeff Strauss

I'm not sure where the default start page is stored...It could be Postgres.  I have already found another way of override hacking the default start page (via the interface), however I don't really want to do this on prod without first understanding the implications of doing it because obviously Tableau engineering disabled it for a reason.

Also, the admin guide indicates that users can override the default start page.

• 10. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
                            Donna Coles

Hi Jeffrey - I've just stumbled across this thread as I'm now trying to do the same thing as you.  When I heard that it was now possible to set a view as the start page, I was elated as I thought it meant we'd be able to get rid of a custom redirect rule we had set up to force users to land on our custom landing page.

However then once I got the v9 server I found, as you have, that the option only seems to be available for individuals to set, and there is no option for the admin to set for all users - why this wasn't fully implemented I'd like to know.

Anyway, its meant we had to retain our redirect rule, but the introduction of '/#/' in the urls is now causing us grief (as per this thread /#/ in v9 URLs causing issue with F5 load balancer redirects.

So I am now seeking alternatives which is to either a) figure out where the value of the 'make this the start page for all users' gets set on the server/in the postgres db with the possibility of updating it or b) finding out where the individual user preferences get set (which I'm sure is in the postgres db) and scripting an entry for all users.

Would be interested to know what you managed to achieve and whether there's been any further update on this in the last couple of months.

Thanks

Donna

• 11. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
                              Toby Erkson

Donna, I know Jeff is out of the office for a few days but here's a ping for when he gets back: Jeff Strauss

• 12. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
                                Donna Coles

Thanks toby.erkson - I was assuming he'd get notified as it was his thread originally but maybe that's not how all this stuff works... or probably depends on settings I guess.. will make a point of directly pinging in future

• 13. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
                                  Donna Coles

Just an update - have found that the user's start page preference is stored in the postgres db in a column called start_page in the table user_prefs and can be set by

UPDATE user_prefs SET start_page = '<enter relative url here>' WHERE start_page <> ''

We're looking into scripting the setting of this as a bolt-on to our AD Sync script that runs.  The above will only set it if a page hasn't been explicitly set by the user themselves.  We have no issue if the user wants to do that - out of our current 2000+ user base only 2 have this set already.

This feels a neat, low risk option.  Would still prefer not to do it and have the ability as admin to set a dashboard as a start page for all users instead...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Tableau 9.0 server - setting the default start page
                                    Donna Coles

I've taken the liberty of creating an idea now: Ability to set a dashboard/view as start page for all users - http://community.tableau.com/ideas/5020 .

There's probably one already there somewhere, but my search didn't find it.  Maybe kettan will....

1 2 Previous Next