14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 7:14 AM by Sanjay Pandey

TabJolt questions

Todd Schnack

A huge "thank you!" for making TabJolt available to us. I am very excited to test it out, but have some questions (based on errors that are being thrown by TabJolt when I try to run it).

• When configuring TabJolt, the documentation does not mention needing to change the default settings in the "server database connection information" section. I assume that is an omission, correct?
      • Does the PC running TabJolt need to have direct access to the Tableau Server repository? That is not currently shown as a requirement.
      • I have been having issues running TabJolt if it is installed in a path containing a "space" in the name. I get the "option only takes one value" error even if I include the "--rootpath" option on the command line.
        • 1. Re: TabJolt issues

Hi Todd,

Thanks for trying it out.

On your first point, not sure i fully understand, but the Postgres repository you use for TabJolt should not be the one being used for Tableau Server. This is covered on page 4 in the install guide. The only thing you need to do is update the config file to point to your server URL.

#2: No, the PC running TabJolt need not have any access to the Tableau Server repository and is not required.

#3: I haven't run into this, but will report it to the team.

Thanks!
          Neelesh

• 2. Re: TabJolt issues
            Todd Schnack

Hi Neelesh. Your documentation was clear about installing a new Postgres instance on the TabJolt machine. To clarify my first point/question: I was asking to the "server database connection information" section in the ServerTestConfig.yaml file. The documentation doesn't mention needing to change that section; is it used by the TabJolt process?

• 3. Re: TabJolt issues
              Esau Villagonzalo

Hi Neelesh,

I have been trying to make my tabjolt work on my machine. Just for testing purposes, I have Tableau server 9.0 running on the same machine as my Tabjolt. I have java 8.45 and postgres 9.4 (different install from Tableau server) installed. I have one dashboard defined in vizpool.csv. Servertestconfig.yaml was modified to point to http://localhost and provided user id and password for a tableau local user.  Also removed the comments in the host section of the dataretriever.config file and ran the tabadmin commands.

When I run the batch file I get the run ID. However, when I look at my workbook, I do not see any data. When I look at the Postgres tables, some columns are not populated except for the Run ID, user name and few others, but not the important metrics. I get nulls in most columns.

Appreciate your feedback on this and thank you for making Tabjolt available for us.

• 4. Re: TabJolt questions
                Todd Schnack

Be sure you are running TabJolt against Tableau Server 9.0. When I have tried to run TabJolt against Tableau Server 8, I have the same issue as you.

• 5. Re: TabJolt questions
                  kaifeng zeng

Hi,Todd

Thanks for trying Tabjolt out. There are 2 ways for Tabjolt to get a list of workbooks and load test them. One is through the Vizpool.csv file and the other is through DB (You can specify which one to use in PerfTestConfig.yaml). The "server database connection information" section is not needed unless you want to get the list of workbooks through DB.

For your third  questions, you shouldn't need to specify "--rootpath" parameter if you are running Tabjolt directly from the folder where you download from Github. Also if you have a parameter which contains space, you can add double quote ("") around it and it should solve the space problem.

Kaifeng

• 6. Re: TabJolt questions
                    Todd Schnack

Thank you for clarifying the purpose of that "server database connection information" section.

I have not been successful running TabJolt from a directory with a space in its path. I created a copy of my "c:\tabjolt" directory into a new directory "c:\tab jolt" (with a space). When we attempt to run without using the rootpath parm, this is returned:

Perf harness is started with parameters: --rootPath=C:\tab jolt --t=testplans\InteractVizLoadTest.jmx --d=30 --c=5 --e=VM --r=test ignore

Unable to parse the commandline arguments. Exception: Option only takes one value: --rootPath value : the location of bin, lib, config, and testplans directories.

Please provide correct input parameters to Data Retriever.

When I add the rootpath parm, we get this:

Perf harness is started with parameters: --rootPath=C:\tab jolt --t=testplans\InteractVizLoadTest.jmx --rootpath=C:\tab jolt --d=30 --c=5 --e=VM --r=test ignore

Unable to parse the commandline arguments. Exception: Option only takes one value: --rootPath value : the location of bin, lib, config, and testplans directories.

Unexpected Option: rootpath : Option not recognised

Please provide correct input parameters to Data Retriever.

Anyway, in the meantime we are running TabJolt from a path that doesn't contain spaces (not a huge inconvenience, just something for people to be aware of).  The good news is that I have gotten TabJolt working okay in a couple of environments!

• 7. Re: TabJolt questions
                      kaifeng zeng

I verified that it was indeed a bug. It will be fixed in the next release with the space issue in the folder.  Looks like you have found a way to unblock yourself by use a folder without space. The other alternative is to do the following ( --rootPath="C:\tab jolt". You will add double quote around "c\tab jolt"):

--rootPath="C:\tab jolt" --t=testplans\InteractVizLoadTest.jmx --rootpath=C:\tab jolt --d=30 --c=5 --e=VM --r=test ignore

• 8. Re: TabJolt questions
                        Todd Schnack

Kaifeng - I mentioned in my earlier post that the issue still exists even when using the rootpath parameter (test it yourself -- copy TabJolt into a new directory at "C:\tab jolt", run it with the parameter --rootpath="C:\tab jolt" ... it does not work).

• 9. Re: TabJolt questions
                          kaifeng zeng

Just to confirm. Did you add "" around c:\tab jolt when you add the --rootPath parameter? I tested it out. It doesn't work without "", but it works with "". Regardless, the space issue in the folder name will be fixed in the next release and you shouldn't need to add --rootPath parameter.

• 10. Re: TabJolt questions
                            Shikha Handoo

Hi Neelesh,

I tried running the test using Tabjolt but i get the error message in the cmd window saying that "Go is not a recognized internal/external command, operable program or batch file"

Would you know what could be causing this?

Thank you,

Shikha

• 11. Re: TabJolt questions
                              kaifeng zeng

Could you please check if go.bat file is in the folder where you try to run "go".

• 12. Re: TabJolt questions
                                Sanjay Pandey

I want to run a test with 500 Vusers, could you please let me know the machine configuration (hardware configuration) which i would need for this.

Also how to configure TabJolt to work with multiple load generators?

• 13. Re: TabJolt questions
                                  Todd Schnack

Please clarify - are you asking what server configuration can handle 500 concurrent users?

• 14. Re: TabJolt questions
                                    Sanjay Pandey

No, I am asking what hardware configuration is sufficient for TabJolt load generator so that it can generate the load of 500 Vusers? Also is there any document which i can follow for configuring multiple load generators in TabJolt?