4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2015 10:03 AM by indrasena.reddy.0

Tableau Subscription and Email to Clients

indrasena.reddy.0

Hi All,

We have a requirement, wherein, we would like to send emails to clients at specific intervals (could be daily/hourly/weekly) with possibly two views.

The workbook will have two views, the first view will have data in a table format (similar to excel), it will have around 25 columns and the second view, will show a graph of the data elements; I'm thinking of creating a dashboard of this with two views combined and using that dashboard for subscription.

The data in these views are based on various parameters specific to a client; We have around 10 clients or so, and I'm thinking of cloning specific view for a client with hard-coded parameters;

Now, after the views are hard-coded with parameters, we would like to use the subscription feature and subscribe each view to specific client at specific intervals;

I have few questions on this subscriptions feature:

1. Will the Views/Dashboard gets refreshed (meaning will it run with the saved hard-coded parameters) during every subscription time and send the latest data to the client via email? We need the latest data to be sent to client at every specific subscription time; Note, we are connecting to Live-Database.

2. What will be format of the data that client will receive, will it be in PDF/Excel/PNG format Or other formats? If the data is wide enough, will it be truncated in the email?

3. Can the subscription feature, send the email to the Client via attachment?

4. Also, we would like to disable any link option in the email sent to the Client. Basically, Client should only see the Views in PDF (the PDF should not be truncated) OR in Excel format either in the email without any truncation OR as an attachment;

I have briefly read some documentation about tabcmd and other third party tools to achieve this, but was thinking can the above be achieved via subscription feature?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Tableau Subscription and Email to Clients
          Manoj Ramachandra

Indrasena - Here the answers i could think of

1. Will the Views/Dashboard gets refreshed (meaning will it run with the saved hard-coded parameters) during every subscription time and send the latest data to the client via email? We need the latest data to be sent to client at every specific subscription time; Note, we are connecting to Live-Database.

<Yes it should if its Live Database. If it is extract, then extract has to be scheduled to run before subscription is sent>

2. What will be format of the data that client will receive, will it be in PDF/Excel/PNG format Or other formats? If the data is wide enough, will it be truncated in the email?

<It will be picture embedded in email. On click of those pictures/views, it will open that view in tableau server. Regarding truncation, it depends on how your visualization is formatted. If you have any table or anything with scroll bars, then those will be truncated. But as i said, on click of the view user will be redirected to server can see it there. You might want to think about avoiding scroll bars if you do not want user to navigate to tableau server. >

3. Can the subscription feature, send the email to the Client via attachment?

<No option directly in tableau. May be it can be done by scripting/third party tool>

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Subscription and Email to Clients
            indrasena.reddy.0

Thanks Manoj.

It would have been great, if Tableau had provided the Email and Scheduling facility, instead of we trying the same with 3rd party tools; For any analytics tool, the email/scheduling feature is critical, and also there should be flexibility on the formats that we can send; For ex; via subscription, only a png image format is available.

Anyhow, need to think of ways of achieving my requirements, as Tableau is not able to have these features built into it;

• 3. Re: Tableau Subscription and Email to Clients
              Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi

we can get only snapshot from tableau.

if you want to get pdf then go with tabcmd and blat  or febootimail tool and get it.

tabcmd to get pdf into one folder and then use blat to get mail delivery.

email notifications then refer here.

Receive workbook to inbox based on data-alert rules

http://www.metricinsights.com/data-driven-alerting-and-email-notifications-for-tableau/

• 4. Re: Tableau Subscription and Email to Clients
                indrasena.reddy.0

Hi Sankar,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have read some documentation regarding usage of tabcmd command line utility in conjunction with third party smtp command line program like blat to do this. Actually, I think for any major BI/Analytics software, this feature should be present built-in, instead of we doing it out of the box with multiple tools/software.

Now, in order to achieve this, we have to use tabcmd/blat and then schedule this via Windows Task Scheduler. It is like too much to do out-of-the-box, for a pretty simple scheduling request. Not sure, why this simple feature is omitted in Tableau.

Thanks.