5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2015 4:13 PM by Chris McClellan

Switching editors when replying.

Chris McClellan

Obviously I do this a quite often, but is it me or the website that has the problem ?

Check this thread for proof:  Re: Text Table Limitations in Tableau

Basically, I start replying in the "normal" editor.  I realise that it's better to post a twbx to explain what I mean, so I switch over to Tableau, create the twbx, come back to the forums, switch to the "advanced" editor, attach the twbx continue with my reply and press "Add Reply" when I'm done.  I see the progress bar that usually indicates that something is uploading and then the screen refreshes to show my newly posted reply ..... with no attachment.  Because I saw this take place today, I was able to reply again, this time I immediately switched to the advanced editor, attached the twbx file and it posted properly.

Does this mean that I must switch to the advanced editor before I start typing my reply ?

If so, is there a way to default to the advanced editor ?

• 1. Re: Switching editors when replying.
          Toby Erkson

My guess is a time-out type of issue.  What browser (and version) are you using?  On thing I've gotten into the habit of is when a reply is taking more time than I figured I will copy my reply text into Notepad++ (use whatever text editor you want but I find Windows Notepad so **** erectus).  I'll do my work and then come back to the reply and finish and I'll copy all text again before I click the reply button.  Every great once-in-awhile I'll get that red error bar across the bottom of the page and I have to start over but since I saved the text it's not that big of a deal.

• 2. Re: Switching editors when replying.
            Chris McClellan

I'm using the latest Chrome on Win8.  It could be a timeout but yesterday I spent 5-10 mins on the workbook before continuing my post.

I have done the Notepad++ replying before, it does help some times

• 3. Re: Switching editors when replying.
              Toby Erkson

******.  Maybe the Tableau Community can help you?

• 4. Re: Switching editors when replying.
                Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Good morning Chris McClellan - thanks for reporting this.  Let's see if we can figure out what's going on.

I am a Chrome user as well and I can't replicate the issue but I'd like to be able to so that I can report repro steps to our vendor.  You already mentioned that you are using the latest version but Chrome sometimes rolls out differently for folks - can you verify that you have - Version 41.0.2272.118 m   from your "About Chrome" link.  If not, you should be able to update it right from that page. 

Has this issue started recently or is it something that's been going on for a long time? 

I utilize the editor in the same way as you. I often start to reply and then find I need to go to the advanced screen to post a .twbx and do not experience the same behavior.  

One other thought, when you login to the community, do you select the 'remember me' option? 

Thanks

Patrick

• 5. Re: Switching editors when replying.
                  Chris McClellan

Hi,

I'm using Chrome Version 41.0.2272.118 m

Over the last few months it's happened occasionally.  Usually when I follow the same workflow, and post something about "I've attached something for you" and the person replies saying there's no attachment and I have to post again with the attachment.  As I said, it happens occasionally, but enough that usually when I'm attaching something I watch to see that it uploads properly (the green progress bar) AND also check that the attachment is there after the page refreshes to show my post.  This was just the first time I've seen everything look normal, and suddenly the attachment doesn't exist on the post.

When I login, I rarely logout    I'm one of these people that almost never shuts down the computer or the browser or the Tableau tab, so it might be related to that, but again there are times when it happens perfectly as well.  It was only on this example that I thought it might have been the workflow of ...." type part of the reply in the normal editor, switch to advanced and attach a file, and continue with the reply and submit " that I thought might have triggered the problem.

I'll check it out when I post an attachment again