4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2015 9:03 AM by Shawn Wallwork

NoSQL?

Shawn Wallwork

Is anyone using a NoSQL database? Has anyone successfully connected a NoSQL database? What did you use to connect? ODBC?

Thanks,

--Shawn

• 1. Re: NoSQL?
          Harvey Nelson

We utilize SIMBA connection libraries for connecting to NoSQL databases over ODBC.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NoSQL?
            Shawn Wallwork

Harvey, thanks for the feedback. My client is investigating changing third-party companies who supply them with financial services data analysis. The company they are considering uses NoSQL (I'm not sure which flavor). They are interested/concerned how well NoSQL will play with Tableau.

Have you had any issues/difficulties getting the two to play nice? Anything I should relay to them that would effect their decision? Generally speaking are there reasons to either recommend or disqualify this vendor, from a Tableau POV.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 3. Re: NoSQL?
              Harvey Nelson

Shawn,

The only consideration we had to do for using NoSQL connection was to ensure all datasources were using extracts and not live connections to the NoSQL DB.

The only concern for using NoSQL is that the performance of it can quickly degrade when the amount of data for an established table set reaches a significantly large size (around 1GB or larger).

If you have a service that is going to hold lots of non-structured data, suggest you look at ETL'ing the data out of NoSQL and pushing it into Hadoop.

• 4. Re: NoSQL?
                Shawn Wallwork

Thanks for the info Harvey.

Cheers,

--Shawn