8 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 12:19 PM by p k

Refreshing an existing excel source on the tableau server

p k

We have a monthly process of updating the tableau workbook published on the tableau server. The data needs to be refreshed  on the server with the current month (Cumulative data) and published into the tableau server. I only have access to the previously published workbook on the server.  I received a new excel file and i need to replace the existing excel source to the new file. How can i do it? or do i create a .tde for the existing sources and then do a replace sources?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Refreshing an existing excel source on the tableau server
          Aakash Hongal

Hello,

There are certain stuff you can do to solve this issue.

First, find out where does the excel source lies. If the date is extracted into workbook then

1. Download the workbook and extract data source from workbook.

2. Create a new excel source and append your data, keep the excel on a shared server and then publish the workbook to server.

Next time you want to update the excel source, you can simply append the excel on shared server.

If you already have the excel source on the shared server, update the excel source and refresh the workbook.

Take a look at the thread I started to solve similar issue. Auto-refresh excel data extract on Tableau Server on a schedule

Also you might want to read this article and understand completely how to set up auto-refresh. O Extract, Where Art Thou? | Drawing with Numbers

Good luck,

Aakash

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Refreshing an existing excel source on the tableau server
            p k

Hi Aakash,

Thank you for the quick response, but we dont have the original source files, and it was at one of  developers local computer, and currently i have no access to it. All I have is the workbook, and a new excel file with all the data, i need. I just want to redirect / replace the old excel source file the new one.

When i tried to replace the source I got a message -- asking if i wanted to copy the external file to the tableau server. Not sure i want to do that.

Thank you

P.k

• 3. Re: Refreshing an existing excel source on the tableau server
              Aakash Hongal

I was in you situation, I wouldn't do any changes directly on the server. I would follow the above steps and make sure that everything is fine and then publish this workbook to server and delete the old one.

Also, I would persuade to migrate the data to a table in future.

You might want to do some trials and I guess no one will be able to tell you exactly what to do as there so many assumptions to be made.

-Aakash

• 4. Re: Refreshing an existing excel source on the tableau server
                Ankit Patel

You can append the new data into your existing TDE file. Download the TDE from the server and open it in Tableau Desktop. Next right click on the source (TDE) and select "make local copy" this will allow you to add the data from Excel TDE file. Once you append the data publish back that TDE to the server. Please make sure you take backup of original TDE just incase something doesnt look right.

• 5. Re: Refreshing an existing excel source on the tableau server
                  p k

Thank you Ankit, for the reply,i will try what you suggested.  I was trying different methods, as to how append the new data. I tried the following steps and i could see that the data was getting refresed

1. Downloaded the workbook(.twbx) from the tableau server
                  2. opened the workbook on the desktop
                  3. browsed to the sheet i wanted to refresh
                  4. In the data pane, the datasource is highlighted, rt click the data source, and click on properties.
                  5. the properties showed me a local dump of the excel files(It is in the temp location). in the same location, i copied(Appended file with the cumulative data with the same filename ) and replaced the original file
                  6. Again rt clicked on the data source  and hit refresh,it actually refreshed the worksheet with new data

So, if save my work and create a .twbx file and publish it on the server, would it solve my problem?

Right now i am a trail and error phase, do you see any problems with this?

Thank you,

p.k

• 6. Re: Refreshing an existing excel source on the tableau server
                    p k

Thank you for the reply. You are so right. So many trail and errors. I tried to one method. The method i tried, I  posted in another reply(Ankit's) to this.  And i agree to migrating the data to the table or some dedicated secure shared location.

• 7. Re: Refreshing an existing excel source on the tableau server
                      Toby Erkson

p k, did you get this figured out?  If so, how?

• 8. Re: Refreshing an existing excel source on the tableau server
                        p k

Toby,

This is how i did it

I was trying different methods, as to how append the new data. I tried the following steps and i could see that the data was getting refreshed

1. Downloaded the workbook(.twbx) from the tableau server
                        2. opened the workbook on the desktop
                        3. browsed to the sheet i wanted to refresh
                        4. In the data pane, the datasource is highlighted, rt click the data source, and click on properties.
                        5. the properties showed me a local dump of the excel files(It is in the temp location). in the same location, i copied(Appended file with the cumulative data with the same filename ) and replaced the original file
                        6. Again rt clicked on the data source  and hit refresh,it actually refreshed the worksheet with new data

Thank you,

p.k