1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 1:23 PM by Toby Erkson

Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'

Manoj Ramachandra

Would it be good idea to let respective members know who post lot of questions and do not even have the courtesy of marking it as 'answered' or 'helpful' ? I understand not all people or all questions can be marked. But i would atleast expect a person who post 10+ questions in couple of weeks to mark 'answered'. They wouldn't mind spending time on typing long post, attaching sample data and pictures. But once its been answered, they forget it. They should be courteous enough for people who are giving them hand and helping out on their problems.

I know few of us just neglect and do not answer when posted by particular person, but as community lets not do that since we want tableau users to have the best possible solution.

Open to suggestions

• 1. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Manoj,

I'm not sure that we want to call them out and put them on the "naughty" list. That might have an adverse effect, and it's not quite the tone we want to have in our community. One possible option would be if you saw someone doing this, sending an email to the Tableau Community team (community@tableau.com), we could reach out, and ask them to mark some of their answers as correct, as well as to explain the benefits of doing so.

Thoughts?

-Tracy

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
            Manoj Ramachandra

Yea that's what I also thought about calling out names. Was thinking of something like a Poke in fb to say 'Hey can you mark it answered'  or Tableau community reaching also out sounds good.

• 3. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
              Manoj Ramachandra

But what would be the threshold for anyone of us to mail to tableau community informing of such things. 5 questions ? 10 ? Or even for a single question by a particular person ?

• 4. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
                kettan

I agree with both of you. Something should be done, and it should be done in a kind way.

Previous Outcry:  Correct Answer Club Challenge!

• 5. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
                  Jonathan Drummey

I feel pretty strongly that this is a bad idea. Here's my point of view: You are seeing people who aren't engaged enough with the community that they aren't marking answers as correct and/or helpful and you want to shame them into engaging? That seems totally counterproductive, especially in a web-based environment where the cost of joining or leaving a community is incredibly small, all we have to do is type in a URL in our browser.

For me, the best way to get people to follow the norms of a community is to engage and connect with them so the community is important to them, which means that the goals and desires of the community are in line with their own goals and desires. The way that I do that is by taking on a commitment to helping the questioners on the forum get their needs met, and not just the surface need that led to the question, but also the deeper requirements & questions. Asking those questions (5 Whys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is one technique I use) is an act of "listening" as deeply as I possibly can, it's about getting my own ego out of the way so I can hear the questioner's truest needs as well as the quiet voice of my own intuition.

If I give someone a fantastic answer that totally meets their needs, that's the best I can do, and though I hope that my act of service will result in more positive engagement with the Tableau community at large, I'm not attached to what that outcome might look like. I don't have a need for people to mark answers as helpful or correct.

Where I'm going with this is that if you want more people to mark your answers as correct, the first step is to give them better answers. Then you can ask them to mark something as correct or helpful, if you want. Or not.

Jonathan

• 6. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
                    Matt Lutton

I think a larger issue is poor/hasty answers on the forums. I fear I've helped encourage the quick reply to questions without fully understanding the question or solution (talk about ego ) and the quality of content has seemingly gone down as a result. Could be natural growth but I agree with Jonathan in that quality answers are key.  On the other hand, I learned a lot by working on the Forums -- but it was a selfish endeavor for personal understanding at times.

• 7. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
                      kettan

I think the best solution is to change the reward system (promotion lists, points, badges) to be dependent on feedback from readers rather than questioners. This takes away current frustrations with questioners not giving proper rewards and bases it instead on attracting readers' likes with high quality answers. I have previously mused about this in various comments in  Correct Answer Club Challenge!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
                        Manoj Ramachandra

Well that make sense in the point of view you are making. How about seeing it in other way. Lets says a person is searching for some help on topic which has been already posted by someone else/answered multiple times. There may be three - four posts he can refer and non of them are marked answered. How would he trust those answers ?

And am with you on providing quality answers as many people I see keep providing answers which is nowhere related to question or posting answer to already answered question. But thats just may be 30-40%. I can show many posts which have got quality answers and still don't see marked as answered

• 9. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
                          Manoj Ramachandra

Or as Tracy Rodgers suggested, is it good idea to email them through Tableau Community and let them know about the kind of quality less answers given and keep a check on it.

• 10. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
                            kettan

If the email is formulated in a way that focuses on the questioner's need, then it might become a good thing. That said, I am in doubt if sending emails is a good way to go.

• 11. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
                              Toby Erkson

For those who ask many questions but don't mark any of them as Answered (or very, very few of them) I simply stop looking at their questions; I see their name and just move on.  If they don't have the courtesy of acknowledgement for ANY of the helpers then they don't deserve my time.  "Acknowledgement" is either making an Answered mark or a simple reply of "Thanks, that worked."  Some form of update that they were successful or not.

The other issue is people who feel the need to throw out an answer without really reading the question.  These folks don't really read and understand the question, they just throw out some text that is typically brief and difficult to read/understand.  It's very annoying when I read the "answer" and it has nothing to do with the questioner's post!  I think some people get too caught up in the status aspect and know just simply posting a response will get them points.  I still stand by the idea of no points unless a post is marked Answered.

• 12. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
                                Shawn Wallwork

The other issue is people who feel the need to throw out an answer without really reading the question.  These folks don't really read and understand the question, they just throw out some text that is typically brief and difficult to read/understand.  It's very annoying when I read the "answer" and it has nothing to do with the questioner's post!

This is also a real disservice to the questioner because it take the question out of the Crow's Nest queue, making the question even less likely to get a 'real' answer. Read the questions, test your answers, avoid just adding to the noise. Thanks,

--Shawn

• 13. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
                                  kettan

This is also a real disservice to the questioner because it take the question out of the Crow's Nest queue

So true. If I answer first, I almost commit myself to make sure that the correct answer is provided.

• 14. Re: Folks who do not mark the Question 'Answered'
                                    Steve Martin

I agree with Johnathan in that to shame others is counter-productive in a collaborative environment such that the negative impacts of users not returning far outweighs the positives that could come from this.

In most situations, there are more ways to obtain the same results and as we all know, Tableau is no exception.

In my opinion, we need to be encouraging development and one of the negatives of marking a post as answered is that users tend not to interact with the post any further so no-one usually attempts to find a better method than the one given.

Perhaps its not the user that needs to change, maybe it is the tag, by changing the tag from Answered to something like Satisfied changes the perception in that the marked post has satisfied the OP's requirements but this does not necessarily mean for the post to be closed.

Steve

1 2 Previous Next