4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 7:06 PM by Jonathan Hendrich

Tableau server export using pdf - filters are wacky

Naquiyah Cash

Hi All

I am using Tableau server to create a pdf export

On the dashboard the user under Customer Name types in their customer and the data refreshes.

However when they then export to pdf below in the purple box you can see the filter condition I have which is the contains filter.

I do not want to have it show up that way but the way it shows up on the server. Any suggestions?

On tableau server -

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 10.45.09 AM.png

As PDF -

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 10.42.32 AM.png

Thanks

Naquiyah

• 1. Re: Tableau server export using pdf - filters are wacky
          Jonathan Hendrich

Hi Naquiyah,

I believe the behavior you are seeing is by design. Although you typed in Home Depot, and that results in a single match in this instance, in other instances, the string you type could match multiple Customer Names. We show what the filter is filtering on to account for that. When it is exported to PDF you lose the context of what sort of interactive UI control is being used. It is for that reason that we include "Contains" as part of the exported filter text, to help make that context clear.

In your case above, if you had typed "home dep" into the filter text box, the resulting PDF would show Contains "home dep". However, it would probably still filter to a single company: Home Depot. (Note: due to space limitations of the exported PDF the full wildcard filter text might be truncated).

If your requirements are for the dashboard to show data for only a single company at a time, you may want to consider using a different filtering approach.

I hope that helps.

Jon Hendrich

Software Engineer

Tableau

• 2. Re: Tableau server export using pdf - filters are wacky
            Naquiyah Cash

Hi Jonathan Hendrich

Thanks for the quick response but i do nto think I fully understan.

On the server the filter works fine. If I type in home depot then that customers info does get pulled up however when i pull the pdf i get that contains word which doesnt fit the screen and the font is off the chart.

I am trying to find another way if there is one as that does not look good especially as this ia a document to share with an extrnal client.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Tableau server export using pdf - filters are wacky
              Jonathan Hendrich

1. Naquiyah, it appears you are using the "Wildcard Match" quick filter type. Each Customer Name will be compared against the text that you type in that filter's text box. If more than one Customer has that text in its name, more than one customer will be matched, and your dashboard will show data for multiple customers.

filterMenu.png

2. Please look at the Format Quick Filters... option and customize the font size so that it is smaller. That should help the text fit in the PDF. You can also adjust the layout of your dashboard and the layout/page settings for the exported PDF.

3. You can use a different quick filter type, such as Multiple Values (Dropdown). However, there is a known issue in server PDF Export when using the Dropdown quick filter types where it displays "Multiple Values" instead of the actual selected value. That issue is fixed in 9.0.

• 4. Re: Tableau server export using pdf - filters are wacky
                Jonathan Hendrich

I mentioned the Multiple Values (Dropdown) option, but if your dashboard is intended to show data for one company, the Single Value (Dropdown) is an option that might work for you. Have you tried using that?