5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2015 3:19 PM by Shawn Wallwork

IBM DB2 Refresh & F5

Shawn Wallwork

We are connecting live to a DB2 database that tracks incoming/outgoing calls to a call center. The dashboard has been published to Server. Here's the problem: The data refreshes correctly any time the 'Refresh data for this view' button is clicked, however the data is NOT updated at all when the F5 keystroke is used. In fact, sometimes when first clicking the button, and then pressing F5 the call count actually goes backwards! Has anyone ever run across this behavior?

Russell Christopher or Toby Erkson or anybody else, any idea what's going on?

The reason we need the F5 refresh to work is this will be an unattended display with an script refreshing the view every minute or so.

Thanks,

--Shawn

• 1. Re: IBM DB2 Refresh & F5
          Toby Erkson

You should test with the script.  Pressing F5, 'Refresh' icon, and using a script are different actions*.  It sounds like the F5 method is accessing browser cache.  A script refresh should bypass that if you use "...?:refresh=true" in your command.

*Yeah, they all are supposed to do the same thing but how they're implemented can differ.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: IBM DB2 Refresh & F5
            Shawn Wallwork

Toby I spent a bit of time today testing this whole issue, and I'm starting to agree with you that an F5 keystroke in a browser, and an F5 send key in a script, and a refresh button press in a view in a browser are not the same... at all! I'm also not seeing the ?:refresh=true parameter added to a URL working in a browser as expected/advertised.

I also fear that as I test the browser I use, or the db I'm connecting to, or the day of week I'm testing (just kidding), that I might get different results. And I really shouldn't be kidding about this. I have a client in desperate need of an answer for displaying, cycling through dashboards on different tabs, and refreshing the 'live' views of the data as the cycling progresses throughout the day. And I'm finding it almost impossible to isolate the variables, so I can make any kind of definitive statement/recommendation as to what is meant by 'Refreshing the data'. Or how to send Tableau what it needs to simply refresh the data. What's the magic word I need to send you Tableau? Do tell!

--Shawn

• 3. Re: IBM DB2 Refresh & F5
              Toby Erkson

Well, can you affect your db so when you test you can verify if things updated or not?  For example, if your data source was an Excel sheet then to affect it you would change a value, save it, then run your Tableau refresh test to see if the report updates as expected or not.

What browser(s) and version(s) are you using?  There may be browser settings or built-in functionality that affect your results and this can help others who try to help you in case they are familiar with such stuff.

What version of Server?  I'm assuming your Desktop version matches the Server version...right?

Finally, exactly how are you attempting to perform this automated refresh?  HTML, Java, VBScript, batch, Python, etc.  We have folks here who are familiar with such languages and could be your second set of eyes.

• 4. Re: IBM DB2 Refresh & F5
                Russell Christopher

The behavior as Toby describes it is correct - F5 is a simple browser refresh. Browser Refresh is not a Tableau (cache) refresh. So you're just getting newly painted vizzes from Tableau with cached data.

Refresh on the Toolbar in Tableau blows away the Tableau cache and therefore we get "new / changed" data, if any exists.

• 5. Re: IBM DB2 Refresh & F5
                  Shawn Wallwork

So how do we 'blow away' the cache and get new data in a script?

--Shawn