4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 12:52 PM by jackie.fried

Create a dynamic filter based on results from another sheet

jackie.fried

Okay, I've been racking my brain on how to do this and I need some help

I'm trying to determine if there's a way to have a filter that dynamically updates based on the order it appears in another sheet/table (in this case, the order is the count of tickets associated with an Item).

Here's an example of what I'm trying to do:

Example.JPG

So, next month, when I run the report, if Item B is more than Item A, Item B and it's associated Subitems should appear first in the first sheet and be set as the filter in the second sheet...and the second sheet's filter should be set to A

Hopefully, this makes sense as I'm not allowed to share our company's data

• 1. Re: Create a dynamic filter based on results from another sheet
          Bill Lyons

I apologize for the delay in response. The lack of response may be related to the challenge of your question.

In Tableau, filters are triggered by actions, such as hover or select. A filter cannot be set merely based on the first value in a sheet. However, this could probably be accomplished via the Javascript API, where you could query the first sheet value and set the filter in the second sheet accordingly.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Create a dynamic filter based on results from another sheet
            jackie.fried

Thank you Bill for the response.

It was my fear that Tableau wasn't meant to work this way, as an Action Filter would alleviate this issue.  However, Tableau is proving to be a harder "sell" for those that are used to getting static graphs and charts in PowerPoint and/or PDF. 

• 3. Re: Create a dynamic filter based on results from another sheet
              Bill Lyons

I feel your pain. Every day I battle the mentality of static "reports." Here is an excerpt from my profile:

That is why I LOVE Tableau: it makes data come alive. When you can interact with data, play with it, ask it questions and get answers, make decisions and make a difference, data comes alive!

It pains me greatly whenever I hear or see the question, "How can I print it?" Printing, exporting to PDF, or PowerPoint slides KILLs the data. It is like a corpse lying in a casket: you can still see it, but you can no longer interact with it! RIP.

After nearly 2 years of this battle, I am finally beginning to make a little headway. Our HR department had an "ah-ha" moment about 2 weeks ago, and our CCO now uses the term "live data!" Hang in there and keep trying. When you do presentations, do them live directly from Tableau, instead of Powerpoint. When they ask a question, show them how Tableau can answer the question on the spot. When they see it come alive, they will begin to ask more questions, and interest will begin to build. I now have 2 departments where I have a live URL action from Tableau to open a specific related client or employee record in another web-based system. When they see that, they get excited, because it saves them time doing a manual lookup in another system.

• 4. Re: Create a dynamic filter based on results from another sheet
                jackie.fried

Hahaha, sounds like we're in the same boat...but we're a couple years behind!  

Glad to hear that you're starting to reach the top of the hill though!