6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 11:41 AM by Eric Szakacs

How can we rename data source names on the server???

ali twaij

Cant seem to do it easily. Help please.

Tried to rename on the desktop and then publish the workbook but no luck.

Data source already published on server so cant republish.

Am I missing something??

ali

• 1. Re: How can we rename data source names on the server???
          Manoj Ramachandra

Hi Ali. You cannot rename directly in server. You need to rename in desktop by right clicking on the data source and select "Rename" and then republish it. Note that you might still have old data source names but they may not be used by workbook, so you can delete it.  I would suggest you to try and test this with sample workbook before doing it on the required workbook/datasource. Hope it helps.

• 2. Re: How can we rename data source names on the server???
            ali twaij

Yes that is what i thought but it didnt work. And I can't republish an already published data source i think.

• 3. Re: How can we rename data source names on the server???
              Aurelien Jacques

Hello Ali,

It is not possible to edit published data sources directly. You must make a local copy first.

To edit published data sources by making a local copy:

1. Connect to the published data source from Tableau Desktop.
              2. Create a local copy of the data source by selecting Data > <data source> > Create Local Copy.
              3. Save the local copy of the data source.
              4. Replace the published data source in the workbook with the newly created local data source by selecting Data > Replace Data Source.
              5. Right-click the published data source and then select Close to close the published data source.
              6. Make the desired changes to the local copy of the data source.
              7. Select Data > <data source > Publish to Server to overwrite the original published data source on Tableau Server.
              8. Select Data > Connect to Data to connect to the newly published data source.
              9. Select Data > Replace Data Source to replace the local data source with the published data source.
              10. Right-click the local data source and then select Close to close the local data source.
              • 4. Re: How can we rename data source names on the server???
                ali twaij

It appears there isnt an easy way to do this unfortunately. The long winded way is :

To edit published data sources by making a local copy:

1. Connect to the published data source from Tableau Desktop.

2. Create a local copy of the data source by selecting Data > <data source> > Create Local Copy.

3. Save the local copy of the data source.

4. Replace the published data source in the workbook with the newly created local data source by selecting Data > Replace Data Source.

5. Right-click the published data source and then select Close to close the published data source.

6. Make the desired changes to the local copy of the data source.

7. Select Data > <data source > Publish to Server to overwrite the original published data source on Tableau Server.

8. Select Data > Connect to Data to connect to the newly published data source.

9. Select Data > Replace Data Source to replace the local data source with the published data source.

10. Right-click the local data source and then select Close to close the local data source.

from the support team. 

• 5. Re: How can we rename data source names on the server???
                  Carrie Gallagher

I'm following your steps below, but at Step # 4, Replace Data Source is greyed out.     Tried a few times.  Any ideas??

Best,

Carrie

• 6. Re: How can we rename data source names on the server???
                    Eric Szakacs

You need to drag at least one pill from the data source into the worksheet so the worksheet controls are associated with that data source.