5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2015 6:50 AM by brian lilley-longville

Can subscriptions be modified at the workbook level?

brian lilley-longville

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off a subscription to a published extract at a specific workbook level (not a site or schedule level)?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can subscriptions be modified at the workbook level?

Hey Brian,

I don't think I quite understand the question. Could you clarify what you're trying to do? I don't know how you would subscribe to a published extract.

Thanks,

Diego

• 2. Re: Can subscriptions be modified at the workbook level?
            brian lilley-longville

Hey Diego,

Say I publish 3 different TDE workbooks to my site. The subscription

schedule is 7am daily. Say I want Workbook 1 and 2 to be able to be

subscribed to, but I do not want users to have the ability to subscribe to

Workbook 3.

Is that possible?

Brian Lilley-Longville

EDM Technology

Officer, Enterprise BI

Cleveland Operations Center

4100 W. 150th Street, West Annex (Mail Stop B7-YB18-01-2)

Cleveland, OH 44135

(Office) 216.257.3669

• 3. Re: Can subscriptions be modified at the workbook level?

Ah I see what you're saying. I believe your best bet is to create a feature request in our Ideas section. Per our documentation:

Additional Subscription Settings

As long as subscriptions are configured on the Alerts and Subscriptions tab and Tableau Server is using its default settings, server users can subscribe to the views and workbooks they see. To prevent users from subscribing or to customize their subscription experience, here's where to go:

• Sites page: By default, subscriptions are enabled for every site, but you can use the Sites page to disable subscriptions on a per-site basis or to customize it. For example you can enter a custom From address for subscriptions instead of the one you specified in the Configuration dialog box. You can also create your own footer for the subscription emails your users receive.
              • Schedules page: Your users will need at least one subscription schedule to choose when they subscribe. Tableau provides two by default. As the system administrator, you can create additional schedules or remove the default ones. See Create or Modify a Schedule for details.
              • Subscriptions page: This page lists all the subscriptions on the server or, if you're a site administrator, on the site. System administrators can use this page to change a server user's subscription schedule or delete their subscription. See the topics below for details.

I imagine you could find a hacky way of deleting the subscriptions on a schedule or preventing the queries, but that's kind of above my expertise.

-Diego

• 4. Re: Can subscriptions be modified at the workbook level?
                James Profitt

Hi,

Doesn't look as though this is possible, unless you can do one of these:

1. Remove the View permission from everyone (if you can't see it, you can't subscribe to it)
                2. Add a prompt for some credentials for a live database connection to the workbook (can't subscribe to these workbooks). Only workbooks with embedded credentials, or no credentials at all can be subscribed to.

Maybe Tableau will add this as a feature in a future version if you ask nicely

• 5. Re: Can subscriptions be modified at the workbook level?
                  brian lilley-longville

Ok that's what I thought but just wanted to double check.

Thanks guys!

Brian Lilley-Longville

EDM Technology

Officer, Enterprise BI

Cleveland Operations Center

4100 W. 150th Street, West Annex (Mail Stop B7-YB18-01-2)

Cleveland, OH 44135

(Office) 216.257.3669