1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 8:29 PM by tholkappian.vadivelu

Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...

tholkappian.vadivelu

I am having issues trying to refresh extract using command line option. Issue is that the script executes successfully but the workbook is not reflecting the current data. If I refresh the extracts in the desktop it works but not with command line option. I have two connections used in the workbook.

Following are the steps taken:

1. Published the work book to server.
      2. Published the Data connections(extarcts) to server in a project where the workbook is.
      3. Ran a script to refresh the extract.

It's a full refresh and I can see the message that "Data source refresh completed" and "rows updated" but when I look the dashboard I don't see it. What am I missing here ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
          Alexander Mou

where does the extract point to?

It must point to a data source such as a database to get new data.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM, tholkappian.vadivelu <

• 2. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
            Michel Caissie

If i understand correctly you published an extract as a Datasource , and you have a workbook making a connection on this datasource.  So you did step 2 before step 1  or I miss something.

Anyway, does the workbook have a live connection on the  Extract Datasource ?...

or did you do an extract in Desktop of this Datasource (an extract of the extract) ?  if so  , after refreshing the Datasource , you will have to refresh the workbook.

Michel

• 3. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
              tholkappian.vadivelu

Michel

You are correct. I published two extracts as two data sources to server which are used in the workbook. I did extract in the desktop and then published it. I tried to refresh the workbook but no use. This is what I did from the beginnng...

I had a workbook with two connections(live DB connection) but I changed them to extracts and published to server to improve the response time in the dashboards. Then, I created a script to refresh the extracts and thought I would have to first publish the extracts to server for the workbook to connect to... and so published the two data source extracts to server.

Later, ran the script to refresh the extracts...

Do I need to do something different ?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
                Michel Caissie

Just to be sure,

-In desktop (let say datasource.twb)  you made a data connection to the database, extract the data (ExtractDS) and publish the data connection as a datasource.

-In desktop (let say dashboard.twb)  you made a data connection on the datasource, extract the data (ExtractWB) and publish the workbook.

In this case , you have two extracts on the server , ExtractDS and ExtractWB.

The Dashboard gets the data from ExtractWB, so to have fresh data you need to refresh  dashboard.twb.

But dashboard.twb gets the data form ExtractDS, so you have to refresh ExtractDS first.

I am not sure if refreshing only the report dashboard.twb would force the datasource extract to refresh, but if you refresh both (make sure to complete the ExtractDS refresh before starting the ExtractWB) it should work.

I also assume that if you publish the datasource it's because you need it for more than one workbook, otherwise you could connect the workbook directly to the database.

Obviously the design is not optimal if a direct connection on an extract  residing on the same server as the workbook, is less efficient than doing a second extract of this extract in the workbook, but I experienced the same behavior.

• 5. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
                  tholkappian.vadivelu

Can someone tell me what are the steps to schedule a extract refresh from command line so I can verify with what I am doing ?

• 6. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
                    tholkappian.vadivelu

Michel

I am sorry if it was not clear....Let me try explaining it again...

- In desktop, I have a twbx file (say Sample.twbx) which has multiple worksheets and dashboards. Sample.twbx has two data sources which are extracts(ext1.tde and ext2.tde) from the database.

- Sample.twbx is published to the server and then two data sources ext1 and ext2 are published to the server in the same Project where the workbook is published.

- Refreshed both the sources from command line options using config files from C:\ drive.

But, one of the dashboard is missing data. It's kind of missing one of the sources.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
                      Michel Caissie

Tholkappian,

I understand that Sample.twb  have  data connections  on datasource on the server.

I also understand that those datasource are extracts.

What i am trying to figure out is if you did another extract on the data connections of Sample.twb, or if you have a live connection on the datasource (In other words do you have a live connection on the datasource extracts or did you extract the data coming from the datasource extract).

What i suspect is you have extracted the datasource extracts and in this case you don't only have to refresh both the sources, but once the sources are refreshed you have to refresh the workbook itself, in order to populate the workbook extracts with the datasource up-to-date extracts.

Can you post screenshots of your data connection pane.

• 8. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
                        tholkappian.vadivelu

Here you go...When I right click on the connections it says "use extract" so I assumed it's an extract...is that wrong ?

tableau.PNG

I am confused with the following statement.

"What i suspect is you have extracted the datasource extracts and in this case you don't only have to refresh both the sources, but once the sources are refreshed you have to refresh the workbook itself, in order to populate the workbook extracts with the datasource up-to-date extracts"

What do you mean by "extracted the datasource extracts" and how do you refresh the workbook from commandline ? I tried the refresh button but it does not work. May be I am missing a big rock here !!!

• 9. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
                          Michel Caissie

ok,

The confusion comes with the extract concept. In your case your full report have  4 extracts  not 2. You have the two datasources  ext1 and  ext2  that you published on the server as a datasource. Once the extracts are published on the server they have nothing to do with the two ext1.tde and ext2.tde files on your computer.

Next in your workbook, you make a connection on the server datasources ext1 and ext2  and when you select  'Use extract'  , you create two new extract files. Maybe you saved it in the same ext1.tde and ext2.tde files, if so you simply replaced those 2 files with 2 new ones but in a certain way its irrelevant because the datasources extracts are already on the server. So when you published the workbook, you published a new pair of extracts on the server.

Your Dashboard gets it's data from the workbook extracts. So to get the latest data you need to refresh the workbook. But your workbook gets its data from the datasource extracts, and for the datasource to have the latest data you have to refresh the datasource .

I don't use tabcmd but you would have something like this

tabcmd refreshextracts --datasource ext1

tabcmd refreshextracts --datasource ext1

//once completed

tabcmd refreshextracts --workbook Sample

If in your workbook  you did not select 'Use Extract'  then you would have a live connection on the datasource and you would only have to refresh the --datasource. But you may loose some performance on your dashboard.

• 10. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
                            tholkappian.vadivelu

Michel

Thanks for your time and feedback. I tried like you suggested which is given below...

1. Refreshed the data source1 say ext1 using tableau command not tabcmd like below.

refreshextract --force-full-refresh --config-file "File1"
                            config file has all the parameters for the refresh including data connection

2. Refreshed the data source2 say ext2 using tableau command not tabcmd like below.

refreshextract --force-full-refresh --config-file "File1"
                            config file has all the parameters for the refresh including data connection

3. Refreshed the workbook using tabcmd and got following message..

workbook refresh.PNG

But when I go to server and check for last modified timestamp, I see them correctly for two data connection but my workbook's last modified time is not updated...It's still showing yesterday's...What else am I missing ?

Appreciate your help !

• 11. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
                              Michel Caissie

//But when I go to server and check for last modified timestamp, I see them correctly for two data connection but my workbook's last modified time is not updated...It's still showing yesterday's...What else am I missing ?

If you  refresh everything from the server admin tool, do you get the data you want. Start by confirming this ?  And validate by going in the report, not just by checking a timestamp on a browser. Maybe the browser needs to refresh it's page.

I am not familiar with the tabcmd command, so i cannot help you with this part, all I wanted to make sure in this thread is that if your workbook 'Use Extract' then refreshing the datasource is not enough. So I would start by validating this directly in the server admin tools. Once this is covered, then you can tackle down the tabcmd part.

• 12. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
                                tholkappian.vadivelu

I just notices that there is an alert I can see after logging into server which says the following:

alert.PNG
                                When I click Edit connection info I get the following:

error.PNG

But I know for sure all the credentials are correct. I am thinking it may be to do with embedding the passwords or something...FYI...We are new to the tool and this is the first time we are trying to schedule extracts...

• 13. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
                                  vishwanath Pendyala

Hi

Make sure , if you are admin of the tableau server. Check the below link

Embedding Database Credentials in Tableau Server | Tableau Software

Thanks

Vishwa

• 14. Re: Extract Refresh not reflecting in dashboard...
                                    tholkappian.vadivelu

Michel/Vishwa

I have got this to work after setting the embedd password. One question I have is that whenever I reresh the extracts and workbook, it does not immediately reflect in the server. I am not sure how long it takes but have seen it's not refreshed for at least 10-15 mins. Is that common that it takes time to refresh the workbook or am I missing an option to refresh immediately ? Following is the message I get when I run the script to refresh the workbook...

refresh.PNG

1 2 Previous Next