5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2015 10:56 PM by saurav dokania

User ID is locked while opening the workbook in Tableau 8.2

saurav dokania

Hi All

Since beginning I am using Tableau 8.2 version.

For one of my workbook, I need to prepare 6-7 different query to fetch the data.

So for 7-8 dashboard, 5-6 respective query has been written for faster retrieval of data.

Since earlier server was in 8.1, so I need to convert the workbook in 8.1 & then send it for publish.

It is working fine.

After sometime if I opened it in 8.2 and provide password. Then in a single attempt it is locked.

It is happening only with a specific workbook.

If I opened it in 8.1 than its working fine.

Please let me know if someone has any idea

Also attaching the error which I am getting.

It would be great help for me if someone is able to provide the solution.

• 1. Re: User ID is locked while opening the workbook in Tableau 8.2
          saurav dokania

Please let me know if any more information is required to explain the situation.

• 2. Re: User ID is locked while opening the workbook in Tableau 8.2
            Toby Erkson

1.  So you're using Tableau Desktop 8.2 to create the workbooks but publishing to Tableau Server 8.1, correct?

- If true then that is a problem.  Ideally your Desktop and Server versions should be the same or else Server should be a greater version than Desktop.

2.  The error looks like it's coming from the data source - Tableau is not generating it - so you may have too many data connections to the data source.  If this is the situation then you should re-think all the queries and try to consolidate some of them if possible.  Only pull the fields you need.  Stay away from Custom SQL if at all possible.

• 3. Re: User ID is locked while opening the workbook in Tableau 8.2
              saurav dokania

Yaa.    i have too many data connection. I am using Custom SQL to retrive only those data which are relevant.

I am using Tableau Desktop 8.2 to create the workbooks but publishing to Tableau Server 8.1.

converting the workbook in 8.1 and then publishing it into server of 8.1 is fine.

Now publish server has been upgraded to 8.2. and now if I open the workbook in 8.2 then in first attempt it is locked.

as far as Custom SQL is concerned, if I do not use it then the workbook is becoming slow as the data source is big.

since last 2 month, i am using the same workbook again & again and many times i have converted it into 8.1 and 8.2.

It was working fine.

But since last 10 days it is giving the error and no one has any clue about it.

• 4. Re: User ID is locked while opening the workbook in Tableau 8.2
                Toby Erkson

Just because down-converting 8.2 to 8.1 didn't break the report doesn't mean it was working 100% as it should be.

I recommend taking your original 8.2 workbook -- NOT the one on the Server (don't download it), NOT the one that was down-converted to 8.1 -- and publish it to the 8.2 Server.

If you still have issues then contacting Tableau Support is your best bet.

As for this:

saurav dokania wrote:

as far as Custom SQL is concerned, if I do not use it then the workbook is becoming slow as the data source is big...

Data source size doesn't matter.  Have you tried using filters against the data source?

There are others who can best speak to data source connections, filtering, and properly using the data within.

• 5. Re: User ID is locked while opening the workbook in Tableau 8.2
                  saurav dokania

Thnx for reply.

right now i m using the 8.2 version of workbook but the issue is after giving the password it is locked in first attempt. so i m not able to open it. 

the earlier sheet which was published do not consist of any SQL query. to improve the performance, i have created new dashboard with SQL query in 8.2. When I went for publishing it was locked.

SO right now i cant published it in 8.1