11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2015 6:57 AM by Joe Oppelt

hide filter on web editing mode

Lucas Brito

Hi, in our dashboard we have the following hierarchy:

Project -> Customer -> Market.

We embedded Tableau into a custom tool that passes the id of the project via URL to a parameter, which in turn dynamically modifies a custom sql query where clause. i.e. WHERE  project = <Parameter.Project>

This only displays data for the specific project, its customers and market.

Our issue is that many users can access the same project, but not all of them have the same permission within that project, meaning that some can see Customer 1 while others have access to Customer 2 and 3. Same applies to market, making it a large combination of possible permissions.

Since tableau does not take multiple values in its parameters (we had thought about creating one for customer and one for market, adding AND clauses to the WHERE statement), we thought about passing the values via browser to a filter, instead of a parameter.

This does the trick, but the downside is that every user has access to the web editing mode, and once in they could simply remove the customer or market pill from the filter shelf, exposing the entire dataset of the project.

Does anyone have an idea or workaround on how to get this resolved?

Thank you

• 1. Re: hide filter on web editing mode
          Joe Oppelt

Are you saying that some people get access to the dashboard via the web (published to server?) and some via Tableau Desktop?

You could delete the filter from the dashboard before publishing.  Or have two identical dashboards except that one has the filter deleted, and when you publish you uncheck the dashboard that has the filter.

Are there some users who SHOULD have access to the filters via web?  If so, you could group them in one group, and then use window popping to expose the filter to those users who are in that group, but not to any others.  (We have a "Super User" group here, and I do that on some filters.)  You can tell one group from another with the ISMEMBEROF() function in a calc field.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: hide filter on web editing mode
            Lucas Brito

hi Joe Oppelt

We have 2 groups of users (super users and regular users). Super users are the only ones that have access to tableau desktop, and they can see/do pretty much anything. All other users are regular, and they only have access to tableau server and the web authoring mode. Since we are not able to pass via url the values for customer and market (since there could be multiple customer and markets to a project and tableau parameter's only accept one value at a time), we thought about passing the customer and market values as filter via url. So something like this...

User 1 can see = Project 1002 / Customer = Bob and Larry / Market = Dallas

ipaddress/views/workbook1/sheet1?parameterProject=1002&filterCustomer=Bob,Larry&filterMarket=Dallas

This displays the correct information that user 1 can see, but if he clicks edit and the web authoring mode is displayed, he will then be able to see the filter pill on the shelf, and if he removes it, he will have access to information beyond Bob/Larry on market Dallas.

web mode.PNG

Creating groups unfortunately will not work for us because we have over 3000 users and inumerous number of combinations for market and customer. Adding to the fact that for each new group, we would have to download the workbook and republish with the new added workbook...

• 3. Re: hide filter on web editing mode
              Bill Lyons

Would it be feasible in your situation to just remove the Web Edit permission for those users for that particular dashboard?

• 4. Re: hide filter on web editing mode
                Lucas Brito

Unfortunately not. This was the business' number 1 requirement, to allow all users create their custom version of the report via web edit...

• 5. Re: hide filter on web editing mode
                  Shawn Wallwork

Lucas you said:

So something like this...

User 1 can see = Project 1002 / Customer = Bob and Larry / Market = Dallas

This displays the correct information that user 1 can see, but if he clicks edit and the web authoring mode is displayed, he will then be able to see the filter pill on the shelf, and if he removes it, he will have access to information beyond Bob/Larry on market Dallas.

I think you just need to move this calc off of the filter shelf, and put it in the data source filter instead. The editing function on Server is very limited. The main limit is that users can't access anything that requires a pop-up dialog box, e.g. editing the data source filters. So you can use this limit to your advantage.

If you set up one group based on Project, one based on Customer, and one based on Market, you can then write a calc that returns true only if the user is a member of all three groups.

ISMEMBEROF.png

Might work, never tried it though.

Cheers,

--Shawn

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: hide filter on web editing mode
                    Joe Oppelt

Lucas Brito wrote:

Creating groups unfortunately will not work for us because we have over 3000 users and inumerous number of combinations for market and customer. Adding to the fact that for each new group, we would have to download the workbook and republish with the new added workbook...

I'm probably misunderstanding things here...

Seems to me you only need one special group -- the superusers.

When ISMEMBEROF("superuser group") then you expose the filter(s).  All others do not see the filters.  They'll get to see what you set them up with on the URL line and that's all they get.

• 7. Re: hide filter on web editing mode
                      Shawn Wallwork

What Joe said. (Especially the 'I'm probably misunderstanding...)

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 8. Re: hide filter on web editing mode
                        Lucas Brito

Hi Joe,

I understood your suggestion and will give it a shot tomorrow, however, once you pass the filter value via url, it adds the filter pill inside the filter shelf automatically, regardless of what group you belong to. That's what we have found in the past.    am I not on the same page?

• 9. Re: hide filter on web editing mode
                          Lucas Brito

shawn, I appreciate the idea, but the issue is that there could be dozens of customers and dozens of markets. While my customer is bob and I seeve Dallas and Austin, you might also work for bob but serve austin, and Houston. So the number of combinations would be too big and complex to maintain in the long run.

• 10. Re: hide filter on web editing mode
                            Shawn Wallwork

Lucas, the answer to your original question is: No.

We have suggested workarounds that are unacceptable to you. I think it best that you mark your own last post as correct and move on.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 11. Re: hide filter on web editing mode
                              Joe Oppelt

Lucas -- Yes, the pill is on the shelf, but I'm talking about hiding the filter that the user sees.

Attached is a simple example.

There is a calc field in there I named [Display Filter?].  WHere I work, I'm in the "Designers" group.  The filter pops out a dummy sheet called "Pop out filter sheet" if the user is in "Designers".  It uses a technique called Popping.

We made a video on sheet swapping and popping objects.  You can find it here:

We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.

If the user is in the right group, the filter becomes accessible to the user on the dashboard.  If not, he never sees it.  So you would expose the filter to the superusers who are in whichever group they get placed.  Nobody else would see the filter.

Test out the example.  Change my calc to some group name that you are not a mmber of.  You won't see the filter on the dashboard.  CVhange it to the group you live in, and you'll see the filter.

If this suits your needs and if you need help messing with this technique, I'd be glad to help.