1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 9:50 AM by Kelvin Eckman

Problem with Tableau Online batch updates from a different server

Tod Meinke

I used the white paper Understanding Data Updates to create a batch file so our data sources at Tableau Online could be updated from our local SQL Server database.  We run these updates this way because Tableau Online cannot reaching into our firewall. 

Everything worked well until we moved our local database to a new server with a different server name (everything else about the server remains the same). I manually changed the server name in the Data Source at Tableau Online, but I get the following error:

Tableau Data Engine Error: 4: Invalid Command: database: Path does not exist.

I can log into our local server using the account provided to Tableau in the batch script, so that's not an issue.

The workaround would seem to be to create a new local data source to the new server, create an extract, publish it, and then point the workbooks to the new source.  This, however, would be a PITA.

Any ideas on how to get Tableau Online to understand the name of the new server??

• 1. Re: Problem with Tableau Online batch updates from a different server
          Kelvin Eckman

Greetings Tod,

Thank you for using the Tableau Support Community!

The error you are seeing is generally due to the Tableau Extract Refresh Utility not being able to connect to the data source. One of the following troubleshooting steps might resolve this issue:

- Remove the @<data source provider>.com part of the username from the  --source-username option in the command.

For example:

--source-username <username>@<data source provider>.com

Would become:

--source-username <username>

- Verify that all the fields necessary to connect to the data source are included in the command-line script, including --source-username and --source-password.

- Verify that the computer running the command has permission to access the file path specified for --original-file.

- Verify that the --original-file path is using the server name and not the drive name. For example, the command should begin with \\<servername>\ rather than D:\.

I hope the information above helps, but if not, please let us know!

Thank you!!

Kelvin