7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 8:47 AM by juliette.mccormack

NHS Templates

Ken Mackay

Hi, I have just joined this group today. I am interested in providing reports based on NHS groupings (e.g. SHA/ NHS Regions). It would great to use backing (map) templates that have pre-shaded UK map according to these NHS boundaries. Do any of you have experience in this area or be able to point me to any resources?

• 1. Re: NHS Templates
          juliette.mccormack

Hi Ken

If you look at this site there are a number of boundary files which you can use:  http://tableaumapping.bi/category/uk/

You need to click on 'older posts' at the bottom to get to CCGs, SHAs, etc.  I have SCNs if they are of use to you.  Too large to email though, so if you need them, get in touch and I'll put them in a dropbox folder for you.

BW

Juliette

• 2. Re: NHS Templates
            Ken Mackay

Many thanks Juliette,

As I am relatively new to this, please forgive my ignorance. If I wanted to link say the SHA template with my data set, what are the sequence of events? Presumably to fire up the map TDE as one data source, and mine as another (what are the fields that I require- do I need any geographical datatype, or in this case do I need the region name (exactly as per the template)- I guess I am asking how do I synchronise my metrics with the map?

Cheers,

Ken

• 3. Re: NHS Templates
              juliette.mccormack

Hi Ken

Yes, you load in the TDE boundary file and then blend to yours.  All you need is a linking field, so if you're using SHA boundaries, you'd need the SHA code in the boundary file to link to the SHA code in the data.

SHA is not a boundary that I use any more but I've just opened it up and noticed it doesn't have the usual ODS code for SHA, eg, Q30, which is probably what you have in your data.  In this case, if it was a file I would use regularly, I'd take the file into MS Access, add another field to the data and run an update query to add the code to it so it's always there in the boundary file.  Take this file back into Tableau and recreate the extract.

You can, as you say, link on the descriptive name for SHA but it does have to be exactly the same (and it's case sensitive).  I always prefer to use the codes!  I've attached a file where I've created a calculated field to create the SHA Names.  This then links to the boundary file.

Hope this helps.

BW

Juliette

• 4. Re: NHS Templates
                Ken Mackay

Juliette,  You have been both helpful and fast. I like this forum .

I'll give it a go when I get a chance, and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Ken

• 5. Re: NHS Templates
                  juliette.mccormack

It helps that you're in my timezone!

Juliette

• 6. Re: NHS Templates
                    Ken Mackay

Juliette, Can I ask a question about the forum itself? When should I click on Correct/Helpful Answer stars, i.e. we have had a few exchanges on the same thread. If I think the thread has completed, is that the time I click on your last response, or should I click on the individual responses. It's worth me asking now, as I may be a regular visitor! Ken

• 7. Re: NHS Templates
                      juliette.mccormack

It's the response which you feel best answers your question.  So in this case, if you feel your question has been answered it would be the one posted at 16:28.

I hope you do become a regular visitor to the forums.  As a lone Tableau user in my company, it has been the main place of learning for me and I would thoroughly recommend it.  I would suggest, however, that any questions you do post, are not within the Midlands group area but on the main forum as it will be seen by the whole community, not just a select few who are part of the Midlands group.

BW

Juliette