5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2015 11:29 AM by leland.weathers

bypass live connection database prompt

Lucas Brito

When publishing a live connection to tableau server, the user is required to provide the database credentials before editing on the web authoring mode. Is there anyway to bypass this login prompt? It is not officially supported by tableau, but i was looking for any possible workarounds. I.e. passing the credentials via url so the authentication is done prior to display...

Thank you

• 1. Re: bypass live connection database prompt
          Shawn Wallwork

Lucas welcome to the forums! If you move this over to the Server Admin section of the forums, you're more likely to get an answer.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 2. Re: bypass live connection database prompt
            leland.weathers

If you are embedding credentials for the live connection, and you don't have a specific need for keeping the workbook as a packaged workbook, you could publish the datasource separately (with embedded credentials) and then publish the workbook separately. Then you can edit the workbook without being prompted for credentials.

• 3. Re: bypass live connection database prompt
              Lucas Brito

leland.weathers

Thank you for the response.

My workbook is published with embedded credentials, and i also published the datasource to the server with embedded password, but once i click edit on the web or open the report on the desktop, it prompts for the credentials...

• 4. Re: bypass live connection database prompt
                Sunil Tikar

If I am understating your requirement then there you just need to follow this .

1. Create a live connection -> while publishing it to server -> select authentication as "embedded password' -> publish it .So whenever you will open this connection from server it wont ask for password .

2. lets say if you want to make report over it and it should not asked for password

1. select data source from "data source" -> select "new workbook " -> finish your workbook and say -> save while saving select-> embedded password with data source .

It will not prompt for password for any editing .

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: bypass live connection database prompt
                  leland.weathers

Sunil Tikar wrote:

1. Create a live connection -> while publishing it to server -> select authentication as "embedded password' -> publish it .So whenever you will open this connection from server it wont ask for password .

If you do this step and then publish a workbook from Tableau Desktop that you later want to web edit, the only real "gotcha" that I have seen is in making sure that you close the local copy of the datasource before publishing the workbook. So make sure that only the server versions of the datasource are in the workbook when it is published. Otherwise you will have a workbook that has two datasources one which does need a password (even though it likely isn't being used) and one that does not need a password (the one actually being used).

1 of 1 people found this helpful