4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 9:50 AM by vikram bandarupalli

upgrading Tableau server

vijaykumar.h

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my Tableau server 8.0 to the latest Tableau server 8.3.1

I have gone through all the documents and made a check list,but not able to make the test cases to execute to test and confirm there is no performance degradation and all components are working as expected after the upgrade.

from the Admin perspective.

Please guide me on this,as this is a production environment I need the test cases so that the components before upgrading works same after up gradation

how do I make sure that I have successfully made the up gradation?

regards,

Vijay..

• 1. Re: upgrading Tableau server

Good afternoon!

I recommend trying out some of your most popular workbooks, publishing some extracts, running some extract refreshes and seeing if everything appears to work the same as it used to. Given that you posted this 6 days ago, I imagine you would have seen some issues by now if anything went wrong.

-Diego

Ps. For future reference, doing a performance capture before and after may be a good idea. You can also look at the admin views and see if everything is in line with where it was before.

• 2. Re: upgrading Tableau server
            vikram bandarupalli

Vijay,

I usually write all steps before upgrade( every single step which are needed during the upgrade). This way, i'm pretty sure not missing anything. Screenshots of the maintenance page, keys, perform a complete backup( latest instance).

I would suggest the following,

1) Create all the steps and document

2) Take a complete backup

3) backup any customizations files you might have.

4) License keys.

5) Disable all backgrounder jobs

Perform the upgrade

- Restore from the backup

- Check license keys.

- Unpause all the jobs

Validations:

1) Login to the system

2) Open workbooks

3) Check maintenance page

4) Create a new schedule and run a sample job

5) Open desktop and import a workbook

6) make small change and publish it as a new workbook

7) Create an extract. Assign permissions and publish

8) Check any custom views created.

I can go on and on, but just perform some core activities that are done everyday by users and make sure they're fine.

Rest assured, if you perform the check list the upgrade should be sailing.

Vikram

• 3. Re: upgrading Tableau server
              Toby Erkson

I'm not sure I understand step #5.  When performing an update/upgrade one simply Stops the server:

Uninstalls the software:

Then install the update.  There's no need to mess with Services or Processes.

Because the process doesn't delete everything there isn't a need to restore from a backup.  Everything (workbooks, Groups, Schedules, etc.) will be there as before.

• 4. Re: upgrading Tableau server
                vikram bandarupalli

Toby,

The reason to disable the backgrounder is to avoid triggering the backgrounder jobs right after the upgrade is completed.

Detailed answer:

When a backup is performed, tableau backup up all the required components. However, if we're restoring the backup on a new machine or existing, the backgrounder will be in pending state for any pending jobs and will try to process any missed jobs during the upgrade. These jobs will trigger right after the upgrade is done and system is available. To avoid this, we started to disable all the backgrounders and enable them back so we can choose which scheduled jobs to run.

This step is not required if there are no background jobs during the upgrade time.

Vikram