10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 2:22 PM by indy poo

sorting on coulmns not working for all columns

indy poo

Hi,

We have a tableau package with the blended data of multiple joins and the sorting on the columns are not working and the behavior
      is peculiar.

The sorting is applying to the first 2 columns but not the other columns. Attached is the tableau package, and please help me to
      resolve this problem. We need sort working on all columns of our dashboard.

Sorting is limiting to only few columns not for all columns, what could be the reason, i have created the parameters for Sort by and sort order but linking the parameters to data i am not aware how to do this.

If some one know this already or come across this, please help me to resolve this.

Thanks & Regards,

Indy

• 1. Re: sorting on coulmns not working for all columns
          Matt Morgan

I have run into this as well. I think it has something to do with your Post+ data set. If you notice, the columns that do sort are from the Community+ data set. You have links in the Evaluation Score & Survey Score under Post+ that have errors on them. Try correcting those errors and see if you have any luck. Hope that helps.

Matt

• 2. Re: sorting on coulmns not working for all columns
            indy poo

Thanks matt, the secondary source has some problem.

But the actual problem is that , from 3 rd column onwards the sorting is not working  for any  kind of column.Just want to know about this peculiar behavior of tableau for blending sources.

Just want to know why and how to resolve this.

Regards,

Indy

• 3. Re: sorting on coulmns not working for all columns
              Matt Morgan

If you click on the orange link symbol on those dimensions, it will tell you to join the data as opposed to linking the data as you are doing. If you can correct this, your filtering should work on all columns.

• 4. Re: sorting on coulmns not working for all columns
                indy poo

Its working  in my system, the problem is with the data source order. That’s  not the actual problem.You can also try  with the first source columns for your testing  purpose, after 3 columns the sorting is not working.

• 5. Re: sorting on coulmns not working for all columns
                  Matt Morgan

I understand you have an issue with your data source order. Unfortunately there isn't much else I can do from my end. I think your issue is within the source data, which I don't have access to. I have attached the error I receive when I click the link icons in the Evaluation & Survey Scores. Again, if you can correct this, I think you solve your sorting problem.

Warning.JPG

• 6. Re: sorting on coulmns not working for all columns
                    indy poo

Hi Matt,

Attached is the tableau package with only 1 source, no multiple sources, but still the sorting is not working  to all the cloumns.only working for 2 columns. We want to sort on all the columns independently.

How do we get this in tableau and what could be the root cause.

Regards,

Indy

• 7. Re: sorting on coulmns not working for all columns
                      Matt Morgan

I think I have your issue figured out. This is a little tricky to explain, but I will try my best.

Look at your columns on your original example from left to right, notice that each column is dependent on the column to the left. Really understand how each column is dependent to the column to its left, it will make the rest of this a bit easier to understand. If each column was completely independent, I don't believe you would have an issue at all.

So you can sort the Votes column as there is nothing to left of it and all is well.

Then you have the Idea Title column. There can be multiple values per entry in your Votes column and you can sort on them. For example, the '2' in the Votes column has 11 entries in the Idea Title column. When you sort by Idea Title, it will sort the 11 entries in the section, and does the same with all the other sections. It will not give you an overall sort.

Once you get to the Post Date column, the sorting function stops. This is where the explaining gets a little tricky and I hope I do not confuse you. Each entry in the Idea Title column is unique and hence has a unique Post Date. If there were multiple Post Dates for each Idea Title, you could sort the Post Dates within each Idea Title, like you are able to do when you sort the Idea Titles within each Vote entry.

The same idea applies as you move across the columns to the right. A good way for you to see what I am talking about is to start deleting columns and see how the sorting begins to open up. Try and delete each column starting with Votes and try and sort the columns. You should see after you have deleted the Votes and Idea Title columns, you can now sort the Post Date. Once you delete Post Date, you can now sort on Campaign and the Product Categories within each Campaign and so on.

I hope this helps. There actually doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your worksheet, it is just the way Tableau sort functions work I guess. If there is a way to get around this (and there certainly could be), I am not aware of it.

Good luck!

Matt

• 8. Re: sorting on coulmns not working for all columns
                        indy poo

Thanks MATT for your insight.

Is there any other way in tableau with the parameters creation Sort by and Sort order to  forcefully sort the columns .

• 9. Re: sorting on coulmns not working for all columns
                          Matt Morgan

I don't think you can do what you want to do based on the order of your columns even with the parameters. Here are a couple of suggestions I have.

First, utilize your quick filters to see the data you want to see. You can easily narrow down each product or category this way.

Another option is to change around the order of your columns to see what will allow you to do the most sorting. It is the dependencies these columns have on each other that will not allow you to independently sort each column the way you want to. As you move the columns around, you will can see how these columns depend on each other why they don't all independently sort. Remember that there is a hierarchy of sorting that goes from left to right that impacts what you can and cannot sort. So, if there is a far right column that you definitely need to sort on, move that column all the way to the left. For now, this may be your best solution.

Please keep in mind I am NOT a Tableau expert and someone with more knowledge may be able to give you other alternatives. You may need to fill out a support ticket and see what they say. Sorry if this isn't the exact answer you wanted, but I hope this helps.

• 10. Re: sorting on coulmns not working for all columns
                            indy poo

Thanks Matt for your elaboration. And attached is one of the sample tableau package. We can do the dynamic sorting.I have created 2 parameters but do not know how to relate the parameters to the data to change the sorting.

Any idea on this will be greatly helpful to me .Thanks,Indy