3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 1:21 PM by Rick Kunkel

Problem with Add/Edit permissions for Projects in Tableau Server

lizzie.s

We've recently had Tableau Server Installed and added domain names to the staging and production servers, however this seems to be giving me an issue when I go to add/edit users & groups for a project. If i access the site via the IP address then I have no issues, and the list of users and groups for the site appears and I can adjust the permissions accordingly for a project. However if I access the site via the domain name then I just get a message saying 'Loading' in the box which normally lists all the users and groups. I'm assuming this is due to some security setting that might need adjusting but I have no idea what that could be.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, obviously I can work around it, but it is a bit frustrating that it isn't working from the domain name.

• 1. Re: Problem with Add/Edit permissions for Projects in Tableau Server
          Rick Kunkel

If I'm understanding correctly, this does seem odd.  Some questions:

- Is this a single machine, or a distributed installation, with more than one machine?

- When you hit the machine by hostname, are there any intermediate proxies or load balancers on the way to the Server?

- When you hit the machine by hostname, does everything else seem to work fine?

- What does the "Loading" screen look like?  (Send a screenshot.)

Answers to the above could help illuminate the problem (for you or for others), but if they don't, I recommend opening a support case, unless someone else has a better idea. 

• 2. Re: Problem with Add/Edit permissions for Projects in Tableau Server
            lizzie.s

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

- Is this a single machine, or a distributed installation, with more than one machine?   Single Machine

- When you hit the machine by hostname, are there any intermediate proxies or load balancers on the way to the Server? None as far as IT are aware.

- When you hit the machine by hostname, does everything else seem to work fine? This question helped, once I got the host name from IT and accessed TES I didn't notice any problems and my list of users and groups did populate.

- What does the "Loading" screen look like?  (Send a screenshot.)

Loading Screen.jpg

My thought is that while there does seem to be an issue adding/editing permissions on projects if i go via the Domain Name, I don't actually need to use this, as really this is for the clients to access the dashboards and anyone whose role is a site admin can connect using the hostname.

I think I can therefore mark this as answered?

• 3. Re: Problem with Add/Edit permissions for Projects in Tableau Server
              Rick Kunkel

If you've got a way to approach this that works and makes sense, then I think you may be able to close the book on this.

That said, I'm still sure I understand.  It sounds like we've talked about three different methods to address the server

• domain name
              • ip address
              • hostname

I had originally understood you to mean hostname when you said domain name, but now I think it sounds like you were talking about something different.  Can you list an example of each of the above?