3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2015 1:21 PM by Michael Carper

Remotely "Refresh from Source" ?

matt.keranen

All of our ETL runs on a Linux server, with data loaded into PostgreSQL running on CentOS. Would like a mechanism to trigger Data Server source refreshes when specific ETL checkpoints are reaches,  same as Tableau Data Server -> Refresh from Source from within the desktop.

Since the ETL is not running on the Windows Tableau host, the tableau.exe utility is not accessible short of using a Windows sshd port, which were problematic when I last tried them.

Is there an API from Tableau to accomplish this, or is a remote shell the best option?

• 1. Re: Remotely "Refresh from Source" ?
          Michael Carper

You can schedule refreshes with the Tableau JavaScript API, but that can only hit existing databases or already published sources. You can't use it to publish sources to the Data Server. So I think you'd need to use the command line.

And so you also want to force refreshes at the Desktop level of any workbook that connects to such sources? I'm not sure that's possible. You can force refresh within the Server browser through several different means, but you have fewer options in Desktop. A data source is refreshed when the users open the workbook, and manually after that. So if a user keeps a workbook open with out-of-date data, there's no way to override it.

• 2. Re: Remotely "Refresh from Source" ?
            matt.keranen

> that can only hit existing databases or already published sources

My interest is only in executing a refresh of existing server based extracts.

> And so you also want to force refreshes at the Desktop level of any workbook that connects to such sources?

No, was using the desktop example as reference of the desired action. None of my users access via Desktop, but use browser based viewing.

• 3. Re: Remotely "Refresh from Source" ?
              Michael Carper

> My interest is only in executing a refresh of existing server based extracts.

The only native way to plan refreshes is through a schedule. An external action like an ETL completion would require the command line.

> No, was using the desktop example as reference of the desired action. None of my users access via Desktop, but use browser based viewing.

In that case, you can configure Tableau Server to refresh its connection to the published data source upon loading of the page. (Using the Server Configuration utility)